News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Some Long Blues: Officer-Class Bavarian Military Merit Orders

Guest Rick Research

There's been enough of a "blue" interlude to sneak some more back in from the Traveling Museum without making that Württemberg guy jealous.

I've always wondered how these could have been worn--right where sashes, belts, and overcoat linings would seem most likely to snag and :speechless1: , so here are shared with you all today three different types of the pinback Officer-grade Bavarian Military Merit Order--BMV-O:

A pre-1905 type without flames

A wartime example with swords. Generally this class went to Obersten.

A really odd type: wartime silver-gilt without swords!

The last type shown seems to have been given to Austrains (God knows why) and a couple of War Ministry/GHQ Beamten types.

Here's the normal swords type being worn by Old Picklepuss:

(inexplicably NOT wearing his Max Joseph!!!)

• 3 years later...

Hi all, I wondered if someone could answer a seemingly simple question, attached are two images of the BMVO officer cross, one gilt, the other silver, I can't seem to locate any positive details of the full list of classes which list the officer cross in gilt and silver, did they exist in two finishes and if they did why the difference since they are both classed as  "Officer"?

thanks

Alex K

bav 2.JPG

bav1.JPG

There are no different classes.
    Pure economic reasons were the reason for the changeover.
    From the end of 1916, the crosses were only given in the version of silver gilt.

The gold layer on the gilded versions is simply often nearly complete faded. The order on the bar of Generalarzt Dr. Brecht is defenitely a silver gilded 3rd class with crown awarded on 5th of January 1918.

IMG_8594a.jpg

• 2 months later...
    • 3 years later...
    • 1 year later...

I took the liberty to merge Alex K's 2017 thread into this all-time-favorite topic started by the late Rick Research in 2013, to have a combined overview of these rare beauties...

Thanks to all for sharing their treasures with the community!

:love:

Edited by saschaw