News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Kaiserliche marine / Imperial German Navy tallies in wear

As annex to the thread Kriegsmarine tallies in wear, post here your photos of Imperial Navy sailors.

Starting with an early tally of the Aviso GREIF, without the prefix S.M.S. The prefix was introduced in June 1890.

KaMa - 036 - MB GREIF (um 1885).jpg

A Funker (Wireless-Operator) of the 1. MINEN-ABTEILUNG (1st Coy. Mine Sweeper Batallion.). The Minen-Abteilung was established 1 June 1907.

KaMa - 040 - Funker, Mützenband 1. Minen-Abteilung (1. Kompanie, Cuxhaven).jpg

Two brothers and a woman, an interesting studio portrait made during the Great War. The men are wearing the field grey overcoat and sailor's hats in the same colour with the tally ?.II. MATROSEN-DIVISION. Note their typical gaiters.

KaMa - 044a - MB MATROSEN-DIVISION II.1.jpg

KaMa - 044b.jpg

Edited by Odulf

Odulf,

Your photo of the brothers shows a gray wool sailor's cap. It is the first time I have seen one. All others I have seen in the past in gray were cotton. Would this be the correct Kragenpatten? I'm not sure if the navy used the Prussian black on the Unteroff. Borte or if they had some sort of red/white/black stripe.Thanks for sharing. 

img962.jpg

13 hours ago, nesredep said:

Hello!

Pease delet this photo because i have post wrong photo,Thanks for hjelp 

Hi Morten, You can delete the wrong photo yourself by use of the EDIT function.

On ‎9‎-‎7‎-‎2017 at 17:53, Martin W said:

The crew of the U-9 in a photo postcard dated 1914.

I think the tallies read UNTERSEEBOOTS.HALBFLOTTILLE.

1914,U-9 crew._final.jpg

1914,U-9 crew,rev._final.jpg

1914,U-9,detail.jpg

I think you're right Martin, I wonder how many postcards of Weddingen and his successfull crew were published.

No idea on how many postcards were printed Edgar ?

This is a real photo PK and it was written by one of the U-9 crewmen and sent to his uncle with reference to the sinking of HMS Hawke.

Cheers,Martin.

The victory of U9 ("Three before breakfast") was celebrated wit many postcards of the crew and commandant (Otto Weddingen). Later other victorious crews appeared on postcards also, like:

- The crew of S.M.S. MÖWE, a Raider or AMC (Armed Merchant Cruiser)

- The crew of S.M.S. WOLF, another Raider

- The crew of S.M.S. AYESHA. This is an interesting tally, because the schooner Ayesha was captured by the shore party of S.M.S. Emden on the Cocos Isles, shortly before the Emden was attacked by H.M.A.S. Sydney. The shore party took the Ayesha to the Dutch East Indies, and left in her to sail home. This was impossible, but the men were taken on board a German freighter, and the schooner Ayesha was sunk. The men made it to the Red Sea, went on shore and traveled it via Turkey to Germany. The Ayesha was never officially listed as a German war ship, but the legendary journey of her crew was stuff for books and films.

Die Besatzung der heimgekehrten 'Möwe'.jpg

KaMa - Wolf (3) - Heimkehr SMS Wolf (Flensburg, 17.2.1918).jpg

Mücke von, Hochzeit.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi Martin W,

the photo of  Torpedoboot Albatros is very nice, but the cap tally is not Imperial Navy. It´s Reichsmarine. The ship was put into service Mai 1928 and lost 1940. The two gentlemen flanking him are policemen, I think.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

8 hours ago, GreyC said:

Hi Martin W,

the photo of  Torpedoboot Albatros is very nice, but the cap tally is not Imperial Navy. It´s Reichsmarine. The ship was put into service Mai 1928 and lost 1940. The two gentlemen flanking him are policemen, I think.

GreyC

Thanks for the info...

Cheers,Martin.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

"Werft" means ship/dockyard, not only dock. The Werft-Divisionen consisted of 5 Kompanien each. They supplied the naval vessels with engine personnel/staff and craftsmen like painters, shoemakers but also gunsmiths etc.

Apart from that they supplied manpower to help with the work at the Naval Yards in Wilhelmshaven, Kiel, etc., hence the name.

GreyC

ps: The photo shows him while working as stoker on the naval base in Cuxhaven. The text is unspectacular and contains x-mas wishes for his brother.

Edited by GreyC

• 1 month later...
    • 2 weeks later...