News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Finnish Cross of Liberty 2nd Class 1918 - for opinions

Hi All,

two years ago I have got this 2nd Class of 1918. It have some enamel damages on the back, but more important is the rosette on face. I see, that it is different as original (i.e. in Jani Tiainens book). Probably lost and replaced with another one. What are your opinions?

greetings from Poland
    Tomasz

PS. I know, the ribbon is also wrong (bow is missing)

FIN_LC2_18AK.jpg

FIN_LC2_18RK.jpg

It's not at least the awarded type.

Considering that all the awarded Crosses of Liberty were in fact made in Germany 1918 by an order of the Finnish government, I would find it strange that they wouldn't have used the same dies and tools for the replacement ones that were located in Germany(!).

This is just my opinion based on these facts, and I haven't actually stumbled before on one of this type. The wreath with swords look cast to me.

The aging on it looks convincing, but I haven't ever seen a discussion of this type.

It might perhaps be an unofficial replacement in my opinion.

Best regards,

Daniel

Here's one original award piece I have. These were old pictures on my computer which aren't the best picture. iI better pictures are needed I can make some in the next days :) 

3.12.2016. VR21918.jpg

3.12.2016. VR21918.1.jpg

Edited by Dansson

Thanks Daniel, they are good enough. Now I can see, that not only rosette, but also date on the back is a little different :)

greetings
    Tomasz

Edited by tompress
    Spelling corrections