News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1917-1919 ww1 medals

Ray1919

Very nice, Ray!  The US was, I think, the only issuer to include 'battle bars' on the Victory medal and I suspect that some other country's soldiers were quite envious.  Despite arriving 'late' from the British and canadian point of view, the Doughboys did sterling work and ceratinlyearned their medals and commendations.

Good morning from California. Yes the world war New York medal does have a 5 digit # enscribed at the very top of the back. I would have to go and get it to send you the #.. but I have tried to find out whom that # represents. If you find any info. Please forward to me. There was a website up in the past but when I open it it errors out. Thanks Raymond 

• 3 weeks later...
    • 1 month later...
    • 2 months later...
    On July 17, 2017 at 06:51, muckaroon1960 said:

Hi Ray, like these a lot. The New York State commemorative medal (2nd left bottom row) should have a number top reverse. Which service is the reserve medal for? (next to NY).

Terribly out of place thread bump, the two leftward medals on both rows are American Legion medals, I will ask my buddy who is in the Legion what they are for (if he knows). He is/was a big WWI collector. 

• 6 months later...
    On 16/11/2017 at 00:06, Stormrider59 said:

Terribly out of place thread bump, the two leftward medals on both rows are American Legion medals, I will ask my buddy who is in the Legion what they are for (if he knows). He is/was a big WWI collector. 

The two medals with green ribbons on the left are American Legion annual convention commemorative medals.  I can only read the top medal's city - Miami; the Legion's convention has been held in Miami several different times, so the medal probably has a year on it.

The medal to the immediate left of the Victory Medal is a local "victory" medal awarded by towns/cities/counties; several locales used similar designs, but based on the NY State Victory Medal, this one is likely from a NY community; it may have a town name on it.

The medal lower right with the 1st Division patch is not a shooting medal; rather it is a WWI 1st Division AEF Veterans Medal.  This one looks a little too "pristine" for my taste to be original.  The battle clasps on the Victory Medal also match to the 1st Division (Montdidier-Noyon is only to the 1st Division and/or attached units).

The two Maltese crosses in the upper right are Masonic Knights Templar Maltese Crosses.

The medal with the yellow/blue striped ribbon is a modern Armed Forces Reserve Medal and seems very out of place with this group.

• 4 years later...