News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Distinguished looking Medical Officers - Photo/Rppc (c.1907)

Hi Chip

i will dust off my scanner and post some better ones and close ups...

in particular do you mean the one on the left or right of the guy in the civvies?

tony

4 minutes ago, Chip said:

Too bad the detail isn't better. I would have liked to have seen those leaders shoulder boards.

Chip

Hello : To me they are members of the Red Cross . the bearded man wo rests his right elbow on the table appears to have officer shoulder boards and neatly a officers type belt and clasp . the other man appears to wear unterarzt shoulder boards . similar to the SB s used by offizierstellvertrer with a aesculapius staff on the middle . The man at the right of the civilian wears too officer SBs and belt .

Hi,

nice to see that Bayern supports my view.

The Freiwillige Krankenpflege comprised different large organisations comitted to helping in the medical field. Apart from the Red Cross there were Malteser, Johanniter, Georgsritter, the Samaritans, the katholischen Pflegeorden, the evangelische Diakonie and the Jewish Krankenpflegevereine. At the proposed time of the photo 1907 a "Dienstverordnung für die freiwillige Krankenpflege" was issued and gave instructions as to their work and status. During the war 213.000 women and men worked with the freiwilligen Krankenpflege.

http://www.sehepunkte.de/2014/07/24485.html

GreyC

GreyC,

Do you know if this book you reference has any information on the uniforms and ranks of the Freiwillige Krankenpflege? I collect the shoulder boards and it appears to me that each state had the state colors woven in to the brocade, in a similar fashion to army officer's shoulder boards. I have some with black stripes and blue stripes and am assuming they are Prussian and Bavarian organizations. I also have one with a rank that is not shown in my reference.

Thanks,

Chip

Hi Chip,

I doubt it. The author is a historian who is less interested in these details and more so in the way the protagonists described their live in the service. As hardly any offical documents / sources survived, she based her doctoral dissertation on ego documents. So there may be references to the uniform but not in a systematic sense.

GreyC

PS: The German Red Cross seems to have destroyed all the documents when moving from one place to another with it´s headquarter long fter WW2 as the files were regarded as ballast.

Edited by GreyC

• 1 month later...

Good morning Tony,

the photo was very probably taken before 1917 as the collar patches of the guy from the freiwillige Krankenpflege are still rectangular, not round. A close-up of the medal would be helpful, but I think it is the RK-medal. See attached scan of the member der freiwilligen Krankenpflege who wears it as his lowest award.

GreyC

DeligierterGrey.jpg

Edited by GreyC

Hi GreyC,

he is wearing the Ehrenzeichen des DeutschenRoten Kreuzes 2nd class,

this medal was founded on April 28th 1922, but was awarded the first time

in 1924, please have a look here:

http://www.ehrenzeichen-orden.de/weimarer-republik/ehrenzeichen-des-deutschen-roten-kreuzes-1922-kreuz-2-klasse.html

Kind regards
    Andreas

Hi Andreas,

thank you for your comment. Yes, the cross in the middle is the Ehrenzeichen des DeutschenRoten Kreuzes awarded in the Weimar Republic. But I meant to indicate with the arrow the medal next to it on the far right, which to me looks like the Red Cross Medal of Imperial Germany 3rd class. It seems to match the medal in Farkas photo. Correct me if I am wrong on this, please.

GreyC

PS: The Cross below the three medals looks like a long service award of one of the Landesverbände. Probably Prussian, because he was from the Goslar Chapter.

Hi Gents

i had only just received this and  hadn't noticed the collars on the others!

It was only as Andreas said founded in 1922 that I noticed .

nice one. thanks both.

this pic may be tiny bit better?

Again thanks for your comments Gents

IMG_2903.thumb.JPG.cab01586f4535dd9923a68234ea2ba08.JPG

tony

PS hoping if I look through my existing photos again I'll spot a few more of these fellas.....

6 hours ago, dedehansen said:

Hi GreyC,

he is wearing the Ehrenzeichen des DeutschenRoten Kreuzes 2nd class,

this medal was founded on April 28th 1922, but was awarded the first time

in 1924, please have a look here:

http://www.ehrenzeichen-orden.de/weimarer-republik/ehrenzeichen-des-deutschen-roten-kreuzes-1922-kreuz-2-klasse.html

Kind regards
    Andreas

5 hours ago, GreyC said:

Hi Andreas,

thank you for your comment. Yes, the cross in the middle is the Ehrenzeichen des DeutschenRoten Kreuzes awarded in the Weimar Republic. But I meant to indicate with the arrow the medal next to it on the far right, which to me looks like the Red Cross Medal of Imperial Germany 3rd class. It seems to match the medal in Farkas photo. Correct me if I am wrong on this, please.

GreyC

PS: The Cross below the three medals looks like a long service award of one of the Landesverbände. Probably Prussian, because he was from the Goslar Chapter.

Hi,

it´s a photo that was given every patient of/in the Vereinslazarett Hitzacker (in Northern Germany at the River Elbe) on the occasion of the parting of Fräulein v. Estdorf who seems to have helped out with caricative duties. It seems to hae been her photo, as a note beneath her name makes it plausible. There is also a Countess of Oehnausen different female nurses and helping hands as well as a police NCO on the photo.

GreyC

Hi Chip,

with regards to your question in #9 on ranks/insignia:

the new book won´t have any, but the 1907  "Dienstverordnung für die freiwillige Krankenpflege" has a verbal description of them in it.

GreyC

Hi Chip,

have a look into a forum you should know well. I did a little piece there. See especially #3 and #4:

http://feldgrau.pytalhost.com/threads/dienstgradabzeichen-und-uniformen-der-freiwilligen-krankenpflege.37404/

I am preparing a more coherent and extensive article on the topic, need to do some more research for it in Berlin, though.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

Hello GreyC,

Yes, I am familiar with this thread, but it does not list all of the ranks. I say this, because I have examples that are not described or shown in the Tafel. I am still trying to identify them.

Chip

Hi Chip,

that´s the reason for the 2nd part of my post here.

If you mail me privately, I might help you none the less.

More than the info on my Feldgrau thread are not in the Dienstanweisungen.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC