News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Imperial Medal Bar with Finnish Liberty Cross 2nd class

Hello everybody,

I could aquire these medals. It was said that the medals should have belonged to a German Officer who participated in the Liberation war in Finland 1918.

The medals are:

Prussia: Roter Adler-Orden, cross 4th class

Prussia: Kronenorden, cross 4th class

Iron cross

Finnish Liberty cross 2nd class

Finnish Liberty medal 1st class 1918

Offiziers-Dienstauszeichnung für 25 Jahre

Centenar medal

Mecklenburg-Schwerin Militärverdienstkreuz 2nd class 1914

Braunschweiger (Brunswick) Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2nd class 1914

My hope to identify him with your help is raised by the 2 Prussian decorations.

Any ideas are very much appreciated.

Cheers

IMG_1130.JPG

Have better pictures of the CoL 2?

I find it a tad strange to see a Medal of Liberty 1.Class with a 2.Class cross of Liberty. NCO class award with an award only awarded to Majors (exceptionally Captains).

33 minutes ago, misiu said:

I see the point. Ok, the medal of liberty anyhow does not help very much to identify the person.

Or the liberty cross is wrong in the ensemble.

Liberty Cross 2nd Class is right, beacuse here are also Prussian decorations awarded to officers, like RAO (Red Eagle Order) & KO (Order of the Crown).

regards

Tomasz

Ok, so let's assume only the Liberty cross was awarded. Is it possible to track the former owner? I mean possible regarding the two Prussian decorations AND the fact that he got the Finnish award?

25 years Dienstauszeichnung + the fact that he possibly did not get any Hindenburg medal due to his death.

And the Mecklenburg medal - maybe he was in the Jägerbattailon No. 14?

What would be a common sequence for the medals? I plan to fix em on a medal bar.

By the way: Does anybody has an old empty medal bar, long enough to fix all medals (except the medal of Liberty)?

Thanks guys.

The medal of Liberation war 1918 was given in the 30s. So it can be assumed that the soldier already was dead at that time.

And where shall I put the Kronenorden? After the Red Eagle?

Cheers

2 hours ago, misiu said:

/.../ The medal of Liberation war 1918 was given in the 30s./.../

Not exactly. The medal was established in September 1918, awarded already since about mid-year 1919. Then 14 648 of the War of Liberty medal was sent by the Finnish Ministry of War to Germany, asking the German authorities to distribute them. Award documents for Germans are dated 3. July 1919, but the medals were distributed also in early 1920's.

_vu.jpg

Edited by tompress
    Spelling corrections

1 hour ago, misiu said:

Hello tompress,

from where do you have this nice document posted in ID:12?

Cheers

Chris

This was from an auction catalog. Indeed not perfect quality :) But as you can see also on the document shown dy Dansson, all forms for the German soldiers (and in German laguage) have the same date 3. July 1919.

A document for Finnish citiziens looks different (the picture is slightly cut at the top an bottom due to scanners size)

regards
    Tomasz

FIN_VU1918.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Probably not JB 14. Maj. Hans Frhr. Schenck zu Schweinsberg had the HOH3X and a number of other awards, and the rest of the active JB 14 officers in Finland were lieutenants. 

I can't be certain, but with the RAO4 and KO4, as well as the Mecklenburg and Finnish decorations, I would say perhaps a navy officer or naval engineer.