Gentleman's Military Interest Club

Wow!!! The officer who signed your Grandfathers pass in the 12th Company was the guy who wore my ring!!!!!! And one of the highest decorated Germans ever.... but a real bastard.

Congrats on the pick up. Nice finds for sure.

20 minutes ago, The Prussian said:

Are there any numbers inside, Chris?

Hi,

684 and 868.

There was an unnumbered one on ebay some time ago which I stupidly assumed was fake, but in retrospect was very probably OK.

I would like to come back to Ferdinand Schörner. At the end he lived impoverished in a nursing home 
in Munich / Nymphenburg. I knew a postman from my neighborhood who always brought him the mail. 
After Schörners death, his son inherited everything. Whether there was really anything that was 
auctioned at the auction house, came from his direct possession / heritage, I doubt it.
Every time a known name comes into play, it capitalizes on it. Some awards often appear 
several times in different ways. 

As already mentioned in a post, the principle still applies, buy only the medal and not the story. Was 
Schörner's Medal Bar really worth the money?.... I dont know, but i have a guess. 

Best regards Walter
Edited by waldo

2 hours ago, waldo said:

I would like to come back to Ferdinand Schörner. At the end he lived impoverished in a nursing home 
in Munich / Nymphenburg. I knew a postman from my neighborhood who always brought him the mail. 
After Schörners death, his son inherited everything. Whether there was really anything that was 
auctioned at the auction house, came from his direct possession / heritage, I doubt it.
Every time a known name comes into play, it capitalizes on it. Some awards often appear 
several times in different ways. . 

As already mentioned in a post, the principle still applies, buy only the medal and not the story. Was 
Schörner's Medal Bar really worth the money?.... I dont know, but i have a guess. 

Best regards Walter

Hi,

I know the collector who had the Schörner Group directly from the Son, it was in his collection for quite some time. He kept it all together and the group was supposed to go as a lot to a collector in the USA, when that deal did not go through it landed up in the auction house, some of the group was placed in a major collection during the negotiations, what the buyer did not want landed up on the auction. The collector who owned it surmises the major parts sold directly may have landed up in the USA as the stuff that ended up on the auction was the kind of stuff that the average major US Collector would not be interested in. i.e. the "Bling" went, and the documents etc did not.

I am a supporter of healthy skepticism, but having known about the group before it went onto the open market I have no problem with the pieces that came up for auction.

Best

Chris