News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• 1 month later...
    • 1 month later...
    I would like to come back to Ferdinand Schörner. At the end he lived impoverished in a nursing home 
    in Munich / Nymphenburg. I knew a postman from my neighborhood who always brought him the mail. 
    After Schörners death, his son inherited everything. Whether there was really anything that was 
    auctioned at the auction house, came from his direct possession / heritage, I doubt it.
    Every time a known name comes into play, it capitalizes on it. Some awards often appear 
    several times in different ways. 

As already mentioned in a post, the principle still applies, buy only the medal and not the story. Was 
    Schörner's Medal Bar really worth the money?.... I dont know, but i have a guess. 

Best regards Walter

Edited by waldo

2 hours ago, waldo said:

I would like to come back to Ferdinand Schörner. At the end he lived impoverished in a nursing home 
    in Munich / Nymphenburg. I knew a postman from my neighborhood who always brought him the mail. 
    After Schörners death, his son inherited everything. Whether there was really anything that was 
    auctioned at the auction house, came from his direct possession / heritage, I doubt it.
    Every time a known name comes into play, it capitalizes on it. Some awards often appear 
    several times in different ways. . 

As already mentioned in a post, the principle still applies, buy only the medal and not the story. Was 
    Schörner's Medal Bar really worth the money?.... I dont know, but i have a guess. 

Best regards Walter

Hi,

I know the collector who had the Schörner Group directly from the Son, it was in his collection for quite some time. He kept it all together and the group was supposed to go as a lot to a collector in the USA, when that deal did not go through it landed up in the auction house, some of the group was placed in a major collection during the negotiations, what the buyer did not want landed up on the auction. The collector who owned it surmises the major parts sold directly may have landed up in the USA as the stuff that ended up on the auction was the kind of stuff that the average major US Collector would not be interested in. i.e. the "Bling" went, and the documents etc did not.

I am a supporter of healthy skepticism, but having known about the group before it went onto the open market I have no problem with the pieces that came up for auction.

Best

Chris

• 5 months later...
    • 4 months later...

A chance find today.... I bought the photo Album of a Bavarian Nurse. Most of the photos are of Soldiers she met at the hospital, but a few are from her brother.... A bit of research shows he was in the 2nd schneeschuh Battalion, then transfered to the Leib Regiment in July 1916... and in the end he was a Lt d.R. and Officers Leiberring recipient..... Unfortunately no Leib Regiment photos of him in the album....westrum.jpg.e8d91d963dbfe4db08efb39fdcec8506.jpg

• 2 years later...
    • 1 month later...

Wow.... it was a loooong search..... I finally found a pic of a leiberring being worn... this photo must have been just after the end of the war with the reservisten sticks...... the >NCO on the right was in the regiment at least from 1915.... and on his right hand.....1498249641_LeibRegiment252b.thumb.jpg.30c6c975c28e79d89eb7db20b6e7eec8.jpg1985425107_LeibRegiment252a.thumb.jpg.55a64181115d1f19558425890ef72113.jpg

8 hours ago, Eric Stahlhut said:

what do you think the gent on the left could be wearing on his right pinky finger? looks like by his pose, he meant to show it off as well

Indeed... it is smaller than the Leiberring, and not possible to identify unfortunately... he has no edelweiss, so not really one of the "old Guard"... maybe he did not have the 24 months at the front, ot this pic was taken before the last round of awards where he may have gotten one...