Gentleman's Military Interest Club

Hi Gentlemen,

this medal for Defence of Odessa has poor relief details, especially on the soldiers figures. Is this a worn original or a copy?

What are you opinions?

thank you :)
Tomasz

Odessa_A.jpg

Odessa_R.jpg

Odessa_D.jpg

Edited by tompress

It is a bad reproduction, for a number of reasons. Everything on the avers is too approximate. The suspension ring is totally unrealistic. In addition, I would be always prudent with medals showing such a strong wear traces in the middle of the reverse (look at the N (H) in нашу). Finally, the reverse of the medal shows details of the voenkomat versions, in contrast with the soldered ring.

From the pictures I do not see anything obviously wrong with this medal, but keep in mind I am not an expert and Odessa counts a variety of fakes of very good quality. Compared with the one published in mondvor website, there are anyhow some differences which might be due to illumination effects, like the general impression that there are too many details especially on the avers, compared to the general "soft" aspect of the odessa medal. Also in this case, the high contrast might be due to the light impingement angle.  Let's see if other collectors will leave more conclusive comments.

odessa.jpg

Thank you. Yes, I know the Mondvor website. Will compare the marked details tomorrow at the daylight again.

But I am still loking for other opinions :)

regards
Tomasz