News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I just started collecting FREIKORPS military.  Looking at bay, I see lots of items listed as original, they don't look that way though.  Can anyone point me to a legitimate source for real deal FK items?

Thanks,

Jerry Timoney

Jerry, tough one, with so many copies, as for ebay, I would stay away until you have a good handle, there are some reasonable books on the subject and that  would be a good way forward 

7 hours ago, gpt57us said:

I just started collecting FREIKORPS military.  Looking at bay, I see lots of items listed as original, they don't look that way though.  Can anyone point me to a legitimate source for real deal FK items?

Thanks,

Jerry Timoney

Freikorps is a bit of a minefield these days as interest has increased dramatically in the last couple of years. As a result, there are many more high quality fakes on the market. As someone who has collected Freikorps since the late 60s, I would say that there really isn't a totally legitimate source for genuine FK items. Even dealers who are considered to be more or less reputable sell fakes (knowingly or unknowingly). Educating yourself through reference books, reading through forums and asking questions about pieces you are considering buying is really the only way you will be able to build your knowledge and collect. While there are many novice collectors on the scene now, there are relatively few knowledgeable collectors around and most of those post on forums. Also, the best reference books are in German and Russian. So, unless you can read those languages, you'll need help translating them for information. The first book you should buy is Das Buch vom deutschen Freikorpskämpfer by Ernst von Salomon. An original 1938 edition will run about 250-300 EUR, if you can find one. But, there are reprints available on Amazon, Abebooks etc. for around 50 EUR. For Freikorps insignia, the best book is Katalog der Uniformabzeichen der deutschen Freikorps by Ingo Haarcke (38 EUR). There isn't a comprehensive book on all Freikorps awards. But, there are 2 very detailed volumes in Russian on Freikorps awards related to the Baltic and Silesian campaigns by Konstantin Nickolaev. But, these are only available from the author and I don't think he's printing any more at the moment.

There is no dealer in the world who I would rely on. So, your best bet is to read references and consult experts on forums.

vonSalomon.thumb.jpg.59ee568efebf7168be214fbfd350a74e.jpg

Katalog-der-Uniformabzeichen-der-deutschen-Freikorps-einschliesslich-der-Abzeichen-der-Freiwilligentruppen-und-Einwohnerwehren-1918-1923-Ingo-G-Haarcke.thumb.jpg.2f33dab7bff3e1e82cb1ab37847e6c4b.jpg

Edited by bolewts58

Hi Jerry,

I would recommend you to buy the appropriate literature, 

use this forum to learn and ask questions, and then our hobby

will make you a lot of joy and save you much money instead

of mispurchasing and frustration.

Kind regards
    Andreas

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Bolewts58's assessment of dealers and increase in the amount of fakes coming to market.  Some pieces will spark controversy among some FK collectors, but at the end of the day you must lean on what is already known.   When one of the better known FK collectors gives your item a thumbs down it tends to close the book on the matter....  its a relatively small collecting group with more people joining the ranks regularly.