News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• Replies 87
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Francois , I'm not really sure myself if it was a unit pin /unit emblem. From what I've gathered it was a early war Luft. landing area in Norway.Do you have any info on this emblem. Thank you. , G.

Edited by "G."

Francois , I'm not really sure myself if it was a unit pin /unit emblem. From what I've gathered it was a early war Luft. landing area in Norway.Do you have any info on this emblem. Thank you. , G.

Fliegerhorst Eismeer

"Banaken-Azeichen"

Questions:

Can you take a picture of the back please and one next to a pencil in order to have a scale.

Is there a # on the back

Is there a trace of a part removed (eagle) on the top? Can you take a pic, please..

Opinions:

It is not really a unit emblem but more a commemorative one - to stay at Banak

They were #ed and came with a document

Complete, they were with an eagle and swaz. (like on the pic attached)

Your doesn't have the eagle because it is a RING, no? and possibly have no nuber

................. but I can be wrong wink.gif

Edited by Fran?ois SAEZ

Francois , Thanks for the photo and info. As you've guessed it is a large sized mans ring. It came from a good source. Vets family said man was in Artic early war , then recieved ring in Holland later. They said he 'assisted' paratroopers.

There is no content mark [but ring is silver] or maker mark..I did see another of these rings, it was exactly the same but had a name engraved in band..

I have seen that photo [drawing?] before but have yet to see a period photo of it in wear,a pin or a ring with eagle & swastica..They could have been left off making the ring easy /comfortable to wear and without catching on pockets.. , thanks again , G.

Francois , Thanks for the photo and info. As you've guessed it is a large sized mans ring. It came from a good source. Vets family said man was in Artic early war , then recieved ring in Holland later. They said he 'assisted' paratroopers.

There is no content mark [but ring is silver] or maker mark..I did see another of these rings, it was exactly the same but had a name engraved in band..

I have seen that photo [drawing?] before but have yet to see a period photo of it in wear,a pin or a ring with eagle & swastica..They could have been left off making the ring easy /comfortable to wear and without catching on pockets.. , thanks again , G.

As you have pointed out clearly, it has nothing to do with paratroopers, even if he "assisted" them.

This emblem, like the KM documents for the cross of the equator etc ...... is purely symbolic as it only commemorate the "stay" at Banak.

As I have said, a document existed for those commemorative pins, they were #ed (the docs, so maybe the pins have a # on the back, like some non portable awards) and I will post an example of such doc later including a close up on the stamp which has this logo.

Actually and thinking on it, I am convinced that it was given to all troops stationed there (I mean not only LW).

Stab JG1

Emblem of the Stabsscharm of Oberleutnant Carl Schumacher who was tasked with controlling Gruppen from various units in defence of the Heligoland Bight in 1939-1940. The eagle looks over a map of the area. Bf 109E

Edited by Fran?ois SAEZ