News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi Farkas,

quite a collection. Some are more readiliy available than others. I find the grave of Hermann Lebmann interesting. He is not listed as KIA or having died of an illness in the official German Verlustlisten. To the right in the background is another grave. Does it say Emil Rub on it? Can you give more details to what is written on the marker? An Emil Rub is liosted as missing in the VL, no Emil Rub as dead.

GreyC

10 hours ago, GreyC said:

Hi Farkas,

quite a collection. Some are more readiliy available than others. I find the grave of Hermann Lebmann interesting. He is not listed as KIA or having died of an illness in the official German Verlustlisten. To the right in the background is another grave. Does it say Emil Rub on it? Can you give more details to what is written on the marker? An Emil Rub is liosted as missing in the VL, no Emil Rub as dead.

GreyC

Hi GreyC

it has the first bit obscured but I can make out the following....

...... ST EMIL RUB

----- INF BATL GIESSEN

(Cross) 31.5.17

the card wasn't posted but there is an annotation written on the back.

ill try and get a decent scan of the back added this evening

IMG_2211.thumb.JPG.3caf16b77cd1fc3538c5398e8c074cb1.JPG

Thanks for looking GreyC

tony

Hi Farkas,

thanks for the scan of the reverse of he card. It was indeed mailed, but in an envelope.

This is a rough translation of what was written:

Save this card for me and keep it, it shows the grave of our NCO-medic (Sanitäts-Unteroffizier), a soul of a man who died in hospital of his illness on the 30th of March this year. Soldier Rub seems not to be listed either. There are two Emil Rub listed, but not with corresponding dates. He must have been from the XIII. AK, Landsturm Bataillon Gießen.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

19 hours ago, GreyC said:

Hi Farkas,

thanks for the scan of the reverse of he card. It was indeed mailed, but in an envelope.

This is a rough translation of what was written:

Save this card for me and keep it, it shows the grave of our NCO-medic (Sanitäts-Unteroffizier), a soul of a man who died in hospital of his illness on the 30th of March this year. Soldier Rub seems not to be listed either. There are two Emil Rub listed, but not with corresponding dates. He must have been from the XIII. AK, Landsturm Bataillon Gießen.

GreyC

Thanks GreyC

cheers 

tony

• 2 weeks later...
    • 4 months later...
    • 5 months later...
    • 2 months later...

Hi Gents

there were four pictures of the 2 M.G.K. of the 30.b Inf reg  for sale separately..,.

I managed to get these three but not all . I missed out on a nice group pic.  Separated in the real world now but I’m going to include a screen shot (apologies to the new owner) of it with the these. I wonder if it was taken before or after the others....

B86715C6-AE78-444E-A1D0-10CB3ED3C115.thumb.jpeg.76febf5afe2c100b50becd49f355e5c4.jpeg

the closeness of dates indicates a difficult time...

AA3E546B-2FD3-471A-878A-D4F7B361731C.thumb.jpeg.933885ec410b42f316386c07ebd2f512.jpeg

7CC3732B-3415-4238-B1AD-9100AF9E6407.thumb.jpeg.26446e9376c9c11eea5db9d553ce76c6.jpeg

7574CA3B-C8A5-4A79-8096-BB9ED6DC5642.thumb.jpeg.ba9b9a0c4c1fd28bab46e599274671ac.jpeg

AAFF7A91-6BF1-45A8-9EAD-384CC41F9FB0.thumb.jpeg.5985f1e0625db1be51be322136b5684a.jpeg

E8BE5F23-6A63-47DB-ACA4-3E54A44754A3.thumb.jpeg.f850a3e7fbfb55fa2dcd82cdd074afea.jpeg

38FC7927-BC3E-4066-B849-1705055C7A97.thumb.jpeg.561ac7444b74f85392131633b927e4a1.jpeg

F1FAA2BA-DC4E-49E0-BDD4-86A398E1479E.thumb.jpeg.52bf1218c2e03a80e95107b646ef24ac.jpeg

tony

Hi Gents

thanks all for your replies...

hi Alex... they certainly do count!

Great find.   Very nice.....

Out of the 10, is that 7 or 8 you've got? 

Are they still in the booklet ?

On 03/09/2018 at 19:26, Alex K said:

Don't know if these count but I'll post anyway, found them in a small café/Boutique, a short distance away from the Menin Gate, late 1960's

postcard 1.JPG

postcard 2 copy.JPG

postcard 3 copy.JPG

postcard 4 copy.JPG

Hi Bayern, GreyC

Of course you both know i never have noticed that!

Do you think then, that the photo I missed  is related to the Grave markers? They were ‘together’  all this time.  Not bought from a military dealer. Bought from a postcard seller.

And if you wouldn’t mind....I wonder now... Would dismounted Ulanen have been reassigned to an Infanterie regiment or retained their own identity?

i would guess the latter? 

Thanks as always....

tony

On 03/09/2018 at 02:04, Bayern said:

Hello tony ,the men with the MG are Bavarian Light Horsemen .

On 03/09/2018 at 12:09, GreyC said:

Well spotted, Bayern.

Ulanen (in German).

GreyC

Hi thanks, I thought I'd scanned them all, to the best of my knowledge they are all still attached as a "String" booklet with the cover, ( bit tatty now), I've still got them, but unfortunately after a recent move I havn't got a clue where they are at the moment, It might take a couple of months to relocate:blush:

regards

Hi,

Kavallerie-Units of the German Army got increasingly split up as the war progressed (as rule of thumb) and became assigned to support infantry units in the trenches, or were used as couriers and auxiliary police.

GreyC

On 03/09/2018 at 08:09, GreyC said:

Well spotted, Bayern.

Ulanen (in German).

GreyC

Grey C . Dont forget that the Bavarian Cavalry comprised two Heavy Regiments ,two of Ulanen and eight of Chevaulegers , uhlans and chevaulegers weared similar uniforms of lancer type. diferenciated by the helmet and the shape of the cuffs. 

On 03/09/2018 at 08:09, GreyC said:

Well spotted, Bayern.

Ulanen (in German).

GreyC

I’m pretty sure the four pictures have been found together.  However maybe the group pic isn’t related.  

I’m surprised to think that, if they still wore recognisable Uhlan uniform, that they wouldn't mark the crosses with some reference to it.  

Mind you - after 100 years....

cheers gents

tony

On 03/09/2018 at 02:04, Bayern said:

Hello tony ,the men with the MG are Bavarian Light Horsemen .

On 03/09/2018 at 12:09, GreyC said:

Well spotted, Bayern.

Ulanen (in German).

GreyC

• 4 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...