News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Romania - awards to Maharajas of Patiala (India)

The Journal des débats politiques et littéraires of 8th September 1935, mentions that H.H. Maharaja Bhupindra Singh of Patiala conferred the Grand Collars of his Orders of Krishna and the Holy Saint on H.M. King Carol II of Romania, and the GC of the Order of the Holy Saint on H.M. Dowager Queen Marie and H.R.H. the Grand Voyvode Michael (later H.M. King Michael). In return, the King conferred the GC of the Order of Faithful Service on the Maharaja, the GC of the Order of the Crown of Romania on the Maharani, and the GC of the Order of the Star of Rumania on Prince Yadavindra Singh.

However, a portrait of the young Maharaja Yadavindra Singh from the late 1930's appears to show him wearing the breast star of the GC of the Order of Faithful Service (Serviciul Credincios).

Given the evident error over the Order of Faithful Service, I wonder is anybody could confirm the actual award conferred on Maharaja Bhupindra Singh. Did he receive the GC of the Order of the Star of Rumania or some other higher award? Carol I perhaps. [He had previously received the GC of the Order of the Crown at the end of WWI in 1918].

It would also be very useful to have the actual date of these awards.

Can anyone identify the slightly skewed, dark enameled Maltese cross, Maharaja Yadavindra Singh is wearing around his neck?

Cheers

Yadvendra Singh 7.jpg

20 hours ago, James Hoard said:

However, a portrait of the young Maharaja Yadavindra Singh from the late 1930's appears to show him wearing the breast star of the GC of the Order of Faithful Service (Serviciul Credincios).

I might be mistaken, but the marked star could be the Order of the Star of Romania.

YadvendraSingh.thumb.jpg.e6c0c64b948e5f3a884974c25c879a49.jpg

21 hours ago, James Hoard said:

Thanks for your kind reply.

I thought that too, but the distinctive blue enamelled cross does not seem to be there. So I thought it must be something else.

Cheers

I thought that the photo had the kind of emulsion that was not sensitive to blue. It's only too bad that the resolution of the photo is poor and we cannot even see whether there is the shadow of the blue cross.

1 hour ago, Carol I said:

I thought that the photo had the kind of emulsion that was not sensitive to blue. It's only too bad that the resolution of the photo is poor and we cannot even see whether there is the shadow of the blue cross.

You could be right. However, if you look at the senior most breast star facing "north" (Order of Krishna), the dark coloured rays are blue. The hue is much lighter in colour than the enamel of the Star of Romania, but it shows up fairly well in the black and white picture.

KRISH1A.jpg

• 4 months later...