News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Egyptian badge

Farkas

To be honest, Tony, this does look like a tourist piece. Or costume jewelry or some other piece of fantasy Egyptomania. The figure and symbols only bear a vague similarity to Ancient Egypt, and it may just as easily represent a fantasy Aztec.

The only modern Egyptian military insignia I can think of that use ancient Egyptian imagery (besides lotus flower wreaths), is the badge for the signal corps (featuring a winged "sun-disk"), the emblem of the staff college (a crowned Horus falcon), and the border guards (a "King Tut" mask). This is a piece of costume jewelry as Chris mentioned, I'd say. 

Ancient Egyptian influence on modern Egyptian military insignia -- that would be an interesting topic, Egyptian Zogist! And good job coming up with three examples so quickly. There are some Army and Air Force unit emblems with ancient Egyptian motifs, and on officers' caps, where most countries have "scrambled eggs" (gold oak leaves) on the brim, the Egyptians have gold lotus blossoms. I may start a separate thread on this topic! Thanks for the inspiration.

5 minutes ago, ChrisW said:

Ancient Egyptian influence on modern Egyptian military insignia -- that would be an interesting topic, Egyptian Zogist! And good job coming up with three examples so quickly. There are some Army and Air Force unit emblems with ancient Egyptian motifs, and on officers' caps, where most countries have "scrambled eggs" (gold oak leaves) on the brim, the Egyptians have gold lotus blossoms. I may start a separate thread on this topic! Thanks for the inspiration.

I hope I haven't strayed too far from the topic of this post, but the monarchy era air force pilots' wings at one point featured a pair of palm fronds instead of regular wings, so while not ancient Egyptian per se, still a local take on a foreign design.

Hi Gents!

its great to hear your thoughts - much appreciated.

i love job lots to pick through,and, this would've been from one....

ie - I didn't hand over my rent for it!

-----

please feel free to carry on on this thread if you wish......

thanks again Gents

tony