Gentleman's Military Interest Club
JamesBy

ABOUT distinguished conduct medal (dcm) without name tags

JamesBy   

HELLO gentleman:

My friend bought a distinguished conduct medal (dcm) but without name tags,can anybody know why?

thanks

QQ图片20170830123816.jpg

QQ图片20170830123824.jpg

gongz   
57 minutes ago, JamesBy said:

HELLO gentleman:

My friend bought a distinguished conduct medal (dcm) but without name tags,can anybody know why?

thanks

QQ图片20170830123816.jpg

QQ图片20170830123824.jpg

Probably because he liked it !:D  Without viewing the rim it looks like an unnamed original. They appear occasionally.

JamesBy   
Just now, gongz said:

Probably because he liked it !:D  Without viewing the rim it looks like an unnamed original. They appear occasionally.

yes, its an unnamed medal ,I didnt see such one before

JamesBy   
1 hour ago, Chris Boonzaier said:

Probably awarded to a Foreign soldier. French soldiers who recieved them had no name on the rim.

bought in Japan

Gunner 1   

The War Office List of 30 April 1917 indicates that "The award of 10 Distinguished Conduct Medals sent to the Japanese government was reserved by them until the end of the War." If these were eventually awarded they would have been unnamed. 

Edited by Gunner 1

They have had 100 years to make their way around the world... I bought a British 14-18 war medal to a Belgian agent in a souk in Morocco and a North Korean award in Kuwait..... ;-)

It is my vague recollection that at some point in the last several decades the British authorities quietly sold off unnamed speciemns of a number of medals, as surplus to requirements.  Whether that would have included DCMs I couldn't say and, as indicated elsewhere - see the 'Cafard' post - my memory is superb but very short!  Another possible explanation?

Edited by peter monahan