News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

6-placed medal bar with Lübeck Hanseatenkreuz and DA 25/8

Dear forumites and friends,

I'd like to know if it's possible to ID this medal bar that I recently purchased:

• Preußen, Eisernes Kreuz 2. Kl. 1914 am Kämpferband (OEK 1909), E gs/S;
    • Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Militär-Verdienstkreuz 2. Kl. am Kämpferband, 76‘615 Verleihungen im 1. WK (OEK 1352), Br vg;
    • Lübeck, Hanseatenkreuz 1915-1918, ca. 8‘000 Verleihungen (OEK 1265), vs Ku E;
    • Deutsches Reich 1933-45, Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer (OEK 3803/1);
    • Deutsches Reich 1933-45, DA 1. Klasse für 25 Dienstjahre (OEK 3852);
    • Deutsches Reich 1933-45, DA 3. Klasse für 12 Dienstjahre (OEK 3854).

In my opinion is a typical KM combination... see also the eagles on the ribbon bar.

Thanks in advance for your comments/Inputs.

Cheers,

Claudio

6er Ordensspange KM mit DA 25 und Feldschnalle.jpg

Edited by Claudio

What a lovely bar claudio, I was also attanding the auction. I hoped to get the bavarian bar with the MVO4x, but most unfortunatly, someone was willing to pay more than me. But again, a lovely acquisition for your collection.

Kind regards Laurentius

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your fast reply.

@ Laurentius: Thanks for the compliments! ;-)

OTL Capell died before the war in a car accident... but I'm pretty sure this is a KM-medal bar (Kriegsmarine).

Oberstleutnant (01.04.37) Paul Capell

*13.07.1890 in Soest
    †27.01.1939 auf einer Übung mit Kfz. tödl.verunglückt

1912 im Inf.Reg.162
    01.06.1920 im Polizeidienst
    15.10.1935 Übertritt zum Heer
    15.10.1935 Kom. IV/Inf.Reg.25 (Köslin)
    06.10.1936 Kom. II/Inf.Reg.94 (Köslin)
    10.11.1938 beim Stab Inf.Reg.71 (Erfurt)
    27.01.1939 tödl.verunglückt

Here's the link to the history of :

Generalleutnant Hans Basse

I don't think is Basse, his ribbon bar seems a bit "longer" on this Picture, although the combination of decorations is "almost" confirmed by the link above mentioned: according the the data of that link he had also the Hamburg Hanseatenkreuz.

I think it must be Kapitän z.See Eugen Richter, commander of the III. Marine-Flak-Brigade in Brest (France) : http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gliederungen/Marineflak/MFlakBrig3.htm, just my feeling about it.

Now I have to find a photo of him...

Ciao,

C

Obstlt_i_G_ Bach and Generalleuntnant Hans von Basse from the estate of Hans Gollnick.jpg

Edited by Claudio

About Paul Capell... I noticed that, according to the list, he was in Erfurt in 1938... on the back of the bar, there's a Label of the Orders/medals dealer "Hans Hillmann, Erfurt". I haven't received the bar, yet, but I need to check the reverse of the bar. That will confirm , contrary to what I thought, that this bar might have been of OLT Capell after all! :o

Hi Paul,

Capell's time of service (1920-1935, 15 years) in the police plus about 10 years in the army (although the years in the war 1914-1918 would have counted double) could have been added in order for him to get a WH-Long Service Award for 25?

Ciao,

C

The Wehrmacht did not double-count war years. Police time counts, so as Capell entered service in 1912, if there was no break in service when he transitioned from the Prussian army to the police, he would have been eligible for the WHDA1 in 1937.

Eugen Richter had the Schlesischer Adler 2.Klasse, which would have been permitted to be worn in the Wehrmacht. 

There may be other possibilities out there. We do not know how many Imperial officers went to the police or were civilian employees of the Reichswehr (Angestellter im Reichsdienst gem. § 56 W.V.G.) whose service time counted toward the Wehrmacht DA.  Also, we do not know for certain how many people received both the LüH and the MMV2. 

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for having explained it in detail; I thought so, that such officers with mixed career could count together all his years of Services... It reminds me a bit this bar Georg Meissenburg of IR 96 who also could have had a "mixed" career.

But... because of the Label on the back (Erfurt) and the fact in 1938 Capell was in Erfurt, we could assume it is bar, couldn't we? ;)

I mean... if Paul found 3 officers who had this kind of combination, I don't think that there are many more with such long service and such combination, don't you think? I'd say max 5-10.

A picture of Capell would definitely help, but it's like looking for a needle in a haystack... :(:speechless:

Thanks again for your Inputs again!

ciao,

C

Edited by Claudio

19 hours ago, laurentius said:

I must say Paul, you have quite impressed me. When I first saw this bar up for auction a few weeks ago I wouldn't have thought it possible to have it ID'ed. You truly are an asset to GMIC.

Kind regards Laurentius

I had two good teachers, Rick and Daniel.

• 2 weeks later...