Gentleman's Military Interest Club
dante

Help with research, British East African Police

Great War British war medal and Victory named CONST. D. MARSH E. AFR. POLICE entitled to 1915 trio and the Kings Police medal (KPM).

David Marsh, 1st Class European Constable, East African Police awarded the Kings Police Medal in 1919
According to the Kenya red book (1922) he was an Inspector in Mombasa and left the police in 1922. He appears to have served in the Sunderland Borough Police (Hebburn or Yarrow) There is no note of him in the History by Foran
Can anyone point me in the right direction for archives or records, as ever thanks. Paul

dm1.JPG

dm2.JPG

dm3.JPG

dm4.JPG

dm5.JPG

dm6.JPG

Edited by dante

You mention that your man served in the "Sunderland County Police". Insofar as your research is concerned it is worth bearing in mind that such a police force has never existed. If he served at Hebburn and Jarrow, he would have been a member of the Durham County Constabulary. I hope this is helpful.

Dave.

Edited by Dave Wilkinson

My mistake, should read "Sunderland Borough Police" have amended the post

If he served at Hebburn and Jarrow then he would not have been a member of the Sunderland Borough Police.

Dave.

Dave, are you sure?

Edited by dante

Yes, Hebburn and Jarrow are nowhere near Sunderland. The Borough Police were responsible for the town of Sunderland only. Outside the town was the responsibility of the Durham County Constabulary.

Dave.

Looks like after the war he went to Australia he died in 1939 the KPM was for gallantry 

5047360.jpg

IMG_1935.JPG