News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Who Commanded Grenadier Regiment 10 ca. 1888?

Guest Rick Research

Because if these are indeed for Grenadier Regiment 10 (and what other unit COULD they be?) that would date them before 27 January 1889--when the regiment received cyphers for their straps.

What's In Da Box?

Hey! Who Took What's In da Box???

And about time, already!

Photographed by me 5 years ago in the paws of a local collector, and now wondering about possibility of identifying the original owner of these minty fresh, immaculate, and ?? 118+ year old lovelies.

Rick,

first names later if required:

1880:

Oberst von Gallwitz-Dreyling

Oberstlieutenant von Tschischwitz

1881:

Oberst von Prittwitz und Gaffron

1882:

1883:

1884:

Oberstlieutenant von Roon

1885:

1886:

1887:

Oberst von Estorff

1888:

Oberst von Estorff

Oberstlieutenant Freiherr von Fircks

Regards

Glenn

Edited by Glenn J

Guest Rick Research

Ah, so only the ONE Oberstleutnant, none of those "aggregiert" surplus baggage types to deepen the suspects pool? :beer:

Once again, I'm going from the "most recently worn" assumption, and that these were put away neatly forever when new insignia were required.

Prussian striped tape, red underneath.

The outfitter isn't going to help MUCH since it was Otto Polke Uniforms-Helmets-Military Effects since 1871 at 9 Eichhornstra?e Berlin W. BUT it has a telephone number "Amt VI 6935" which also suggests pre-1900 switchboards. I've never seen the "Office #" on a German phone number AFTER 1900.

Can the regiment be confirmed? What OTHER "10" Prussian unit wore yellow top strap color AND "banjo boards?" (I had originally thought cavalry, which reveals how little I know of pre-1914 insignia.)

Well, it would have to be 10.Grenadiers, but if epaulettes were subject to the same rules as shoulder boards, the line regiments wore the cypher and the reserve regiment wore an Arabic unit number.

Chip

Guest Rick Research

Yes BUT

reserve officers before 1914 wore the same uniform as the regulars, distinguished only by the headgear cockade.

The cipher versus number came up 1914-18. There was no "Reserve Grenadier Regiment" (or any other) before 1914.

Rick,

in 1888 there was one Oberstlieutenant Gustav von Sodenstern ? la suite who was Railway Line Commissioner in K?nigsberg i.P.

Here is the "All Highest Cabinet Order" introducing the cyphers.

Regards

Glenn

Guest Rick Research

Thanks Glenn! I've got to track those "randoms" down as well as possible suspects! :beer: