News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Prussian military merit crosses for sale

Dear fellow collectors

As I am new to this collection area I always try to learn, I often search the internet for pictures and info of basicly all the german medals from ww1. While doing this I found something peculiar. It turns out that Emedals and Bene merenti both are selling a Prussian golden military merit cross, and both the crosses have the same recipientphoto, and both claim that it belongs with their cross, could one of these be a spangestuck?

https://lot-tissimo.com/de/i/12856835/p/26/

https://www.emedals.com/europe/germany/german-states/a-golden-military-merit-cross-by-wagner-to-a-serving-priest-g14543

Kind regards, Laurentius

Dedehansen and Chris

Thank you kindly for your reactions, I was just a bit surprised that 2 big companies both are selling the same piece. Now it turns out that the GMVK at bene merenti is a spangestuck. Again, thank you both for your help.

Kind regards, Laurentius

Hello:

A single photo with a group does not necessarily mean that individual is the recipient of the award shown.  Documentation (Urkunden), etc. are acceptable for attributing an award.  If documentation exists, then the photographs can be considered to possibly be of the recipient of that particular award.

The Bene Merenti piece is a really awful forgery.  There are better quality forgeries, so beware.

The e-medals piece itself is 100% original and correct.  However, the photo is not necessarily of the recipient of that particular award.  Also, the case is incorrect.

See this website for more information: http://www.medalnet.net/Difference.htm

Best regards,

Hello again:

Chris, you bring up a good point that the piece could be a period wearing copy (Spangenstück).  I guess that this is possible, but with such copies, unless they come from the family of the veteran directly, then I would be doubtful.  This is certainly not one of the numerous more modern "copies" (really forgeries) often seen.  All that is known is that it is not an issued piece.  Proving what it is beyond that, is a rather complex issue.  In any case, I would advise collectors to stay away from such items and spend a bit more on a genuine piece.  But, some collectors are satisfied with such pieces in their collections.  It is a matter of personal taste.

Best regards,