Gentleman's Military Interest Club
Chsyrenais

Help with identification please - French sabre

Hello and regards;

I'd be grateful for help with any additional information on this French (?) saber to identify the period or any details or ''direction'' to information. I've spent ''some'' time browsing ''few'' days on the internet with no positive match, so the conclusion might be ''rare'' or ''common enough'' not to be referenced anywhere.

It hasn't  got any markings; wooden grip; blade length 31.5 inches; white metal cast; flat pommel cap, flat square D-guard

Appreciate questions and answers.

Ident01.jpg

Ident02.jpg

Ident04.jpg

Hello,

welcome.

But first of all you are in the wrong section, if it was French.

And what made you think it is French...

Thanks Stuka f for pointing out the wrong section - from the selection of states (unless this is not what you are referring to) it seemed this to be the most relevant/closest region.

The overall ''design'' of pommel and guard - from what I've tried to find out myself - it appeared (again) the closest to French type of weapon, but as I'd like to pinpoint the most accurate origin, I'm open to listening to any suggestions and correction in my deduction.

Regards,

Ch.

hello,

to me from the pictures you posted I would say, fake.

The finishing is quiet rude, compared to original pieces I know.

More pictures might help.

I agree that the finish on the pommel is not of high quality and that, plus the lack of any markings at all may indicate a copy.  Issue weapons almost always have some marks, usually on the top of the blade or the hilt.

Thanks for the suggestions Stuka f. This sounds reasonable as it has some features that with your comment it's confirming some suspicions at least.