News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Please Help: Looking for information on relative SS Sturmann Josef Becker

I am looking for Waffen SS casualty lists for Enlisted Soldiers for either 1st LAH, 2nd DF, or 12 HJ Panzer Divisions in 1945 (these are my best guess on units from photos).

Yes I know this is a big request, however, I think that I can help narrow it down if you just stay with me.

So recently, after spending last weekend with my extended family looking at photos, I was given a death card and a photo of my great grandmother's sister's kid.  I am just trying to find out anymore information.

Information that I know:

Name: Joseph Becker

Born: 28 March 1924

Died: 29 July 1945

Photo (i know these are hard to tell, but the Death Card looks like Josef has Slip-on LAH cyphers, however, they could also be Der Fuhrer.  These are the best scans that I could get)

Dort is mein Bruder Josef (there is my brother Joseph) It's very hard to read the rest but I think it says something about meeting in Bonn near the Rhein River on 12 January 1945. possibly when he was home on leave?

Death Card

Ich habe keinen anderen Wunsch mehr, als dass ihr fur mich betet

I have no other desire, than that you all pray for me

(either this is from a scripture, or a request from the mother.  Monika?)

zum frommen Andenken an den Gefreiter Josef Becker

In pious remembrance of the Corporal Joseph Becker

(the first part is hard to translate directly, but sort of like "in loving memory of")

Born on 28 March 1924

Died on 29 July 1945

an den folgen einer schweren Schuss-verletzung im Lazarett zu Schaerding am Inn

As a result of a serious gunshot injury in the Hospital at Schaerding am Inn

(Shaerding am Inn is a small town in Austria about 10km south of Passau Bavaria.  The Inn river is the boundary between Austria and Bavaria, and Schaerding sits on the Austrian side of the river, hence the name "on the river Inn" in the title).  

Am 2 August 1945 wurde er auf dem Friedhof in Schaerding beigesetzt

On 2 August 1945 he was buried at the cemetery in Schaerding

If anyone could help with narrowing down unit, date of enlistement, awards, action of death, etc., it would be appreciated.

Die schwergepruefte Mutter und die trauernden Geschwister bitten um ein Gebet fuer ihren lieben Toten

The grieving mother and the mourning siblings ask for a prayer for their dear deceased

Herr, gib ihm die ewige Ruhe

Lord, give him eternal rest

Thanks in advanced.

Becker Photo_Front.jpg

Becker Funeral Card.jpg

Becker Photo_Back.jpg

Becker_Adjusted.png

Looks like he is wearing a wrapper in the photo so possibly panzer or panzerjäger which I would think rules out Der Führer and it does look like a LAH on the shoulder board. 

As for the action that saw him being wounded it may well prove impossible to tell. LSSAH were in Austria from April 1945 so it could of been any time from then onwards.

Try contacting WASt and ask if they have his service record or hire a researcher to look through the SS enlisted men's files at NARA to see if his records are there (Series A3343)

Edited by hucks216

6 hours ago, hucks216 said:

Looks like he is wearing a wrapper in the photo so possibly panzer or panzerjäger which I would think rules out Der Führer and it does look like a LAH on the shoulder board. 

As for the action that saw him being wounded it may well prove impossible to tell. LSSAH were in Austria from April 1945 so it could of been any time from then onwards.

Try contacting WASt and ask if they have his service record or hire a researcher to look through the SS enlisted men's files at NARA to see if his records are there (Series A3343)

Huck,  thanks for the help.  I have a buddy in DC who may be able to help with the NARA.  Yes my scans do not show full detail, but Josef is wearing a Panzer wrapper, but it seems to be grey. Not black, so I was guessing Either Assault gunner or Panzerjager.  PJ may make more since because the piping (waffenfarbe) on his shoulder boards in the death photo look lighter than period photos of Artillery guys that I have seen in the past.  

Either way, this is a fun project.