Gentleman's Military Interest Club
Morar Andrei

Romanian cavalry against german machineguns

That happens on the autumn of 1916 during the battles for the Argeș Valley. A colonel sent the cavalry squadrons, just like in the Napoleonic Wars, to charge a German machineguns post, taking huge casualties: out of 327 soldiers, there remained only 84, and out of 14 officers 5 survived. What happened more exactly that day and which was the determination to make such a bold move? Thank you very much!

9793352e1a112d3b2d4ca68cfa85bcb2--military-history-wwi.jpg.536dc1f84ccf06428c3f5adf9f1d51a6.jpg

Edited by Morar Andrei

Morar Andrei ; I assume that you are Romanian speaking so i suggest you to take a look to the following site : Discutie , Monumentul Eroilor Cavaleristi din Primul Razboi Mondial . 

Great story and photo. It appears that the lance is his primary weapon with rifle being present “just in case”. A formidable adversary either way.

A formidable adversary at lance length from the enemy.  I speak to hundreds of high school students every year about WWI, with a group that sets up at museums around southern Ontario.  We man as many as 15 stations and one I have been doing lately is 'Lance Drill'.  It gives me a chance to talk about how vital the horse was to war, before and even after WWI, for transport and how the 'arme blanche' was properly used - to scout and screen. 

The students practice some basic lance drill and 'tent pegging'.  I also explain how frightening a cavalry charge would be , especially against unprpepared infantry in the open, most of who would have had single shot rifles.  Finally, I pull out my 10 round SMLE and explain how many shorts I could get off in the time it took horsemen to cross 200 meteres of ground.  They inveriably get the point: MGs turned cavalry charges into a complicated form of suicide!