News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Silk E&E map of Iraq

Saw this thought it might be of interest? :beer:

SILK RAF MAP OF BAGHDAD & BASRA IRAQ

a 1951 silk RAF map published by the War Office in 1942 of BAGHDAD and BASRA in good condition.

It has Baghdad on one side and Basra on the other side both at Scale 1:1,000,000.

The maps are printed with red, blue and black ink, with relief details in brown.

The entire piece is approx 28” by 25”.

'Published by War Office, 1942. Eighth edition GSGS 1951.'

I've just looked at the Baghdad side and noticed some of the dates are slightly different : 'Reprinted from Fourth Edition, MDR 1/1361, 1944. Reproduced by Ordnance Survey, 1951.' and 'Published by War Office, 1928. Fifth edition GSGS 1944.' and below this in red it says 'Isogonals revised to 1953.'

Edited by bigjarofwasps

As issued to US forces. Printed on waxy, waterproof paper

Contains valuable e&e information on edible plants, celestrial navigation, first aid, climate and terrain, evasion movement, map and compass use, water procurment and ground to air codes.

EVC NH-39A ( Double Sided)

1ST EDITION OCTOBER 1990 / IRAQ, KUWAIT, IRAN

(DISTRIBUTED LIMITED TO AGENCIES WITHIN THE EXECUTIVE BRANCH)

THIS MAP, UNLIKE OTHERS FROM A SERIES OF TWELVE THAT COVER DIFFERENT AREAS OF IRAQ, COVERS THE EXACT AREA OF OPERATIONS COVERED IN BRAVO TWO ZERO, SABRE SQUADRON & CLOSE QUARTER BATTLE.

Survival Instructions covering every aspect of desert survival especially behind enemy lines..

Includes details on : PLANTS + NAVIGATION (Compass & Astral) + CLIMATE INFO + ENVIROMENTAL HAZARDS + COMBAT SURVIVAL METHODS + PHOTOS OF DESERT PLANTS + COMBAT FIRST AID & Much, Much More...

The survival info in this document is useful in any hot climate, not just behind enemy lines trying to ESCAPE & SURVIVE !!!

I saw this one on ebay, I was under the impression that the SAS maps were printed on silk (Andy Mcnab & Chris Ryan`s were in thier books) so I can`t be sure that this is a genuine period E&E map. Can anyone confirm this for me?

Edited by bigjarofwasps

• 9 months later...

Stumbled across this...........

A NUMBERED PROMISORY NOTE.THE NOTES WERE ISSUED TO BRITISH SPECIAL FORCES IN BOTH IRAQ WARS AND AFGHANISTAN ALONG WITH GOLD SOVEREIGNS KNOWN AS BLOOD MONEY AND THE NOTE AS A BLOOD CHIT THESE ARE STANDARD SAS ISSUE IT IS WRITTEN IN ENGLISH ARABIC AND FARSI AND IS WRITTEN ON WATERPROOF TEARPROOF PAPER.THIS NOTE IS A RECENT ONE AS IT PROMISES THE PERSON AIDING THE BEARER THE SUM OF ?6000 NOT ?5000 AS THE ONE FROM THE FIRST GULF WAR.EACH NOTE IS PRINTED WITH A UNIQUE NUMBER AND THIS CAN BE CHECKED BY THE M.O.D AGAINST DETAILS TO DETERMINE THE SOLDIERS IDENTITY