News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

To member Dansson, the piece seems quite genuine, but I hope you won't mind a comment about the condition of the medal. Don't be terribly disappointed if your offer is declined. The condition on this one is a bit rough, especially between the cross arms where the gilding is almost gone, and also on the swords. This is not a particularly scarce insignia. Very nice condition singles come up in auctions regularly, in the US$450-550 range. We're not exactly in a booming market these days, so with a little patience you will find a nicer piece that you'll always enjoy looking at. Condition and eye-appeal are important when you buy, because they are especially important when it's time to sell! Good luck with your collection!

16 minutes ago, medalworld said:

To member Dansson, the piece seems quite genuine, but I hope you won't mind a comment about the condition of the medal. Don't be terribly disappointed if your offer is declined. The condition on this one is a bit rough, especially between the cross arms where the gilding is almost gone, and also on the swords. This is not a particularly scarce insignia. Very nice condition singles come up in auctions regularly, in the US$450-550 range. We're not exactly in a booming market these days, so with a little patience you will find a nicer piece that you'll always enjoy looking at. Condition and eye-appeal are important when you buy, because they are especially important when it's time to sell! Good luck with your collection!

Thank you!
    Do you know what a Gold piece (not a silver gilt) goes for?

For gold you must go to 1st Class with Swords. My latest OEK catalog is the 20th edition, where it quotes OEK-152 in gold at 1400 Euro. If you don't have an OEK catalog, get one. It will help you a lot with attribution and valuations.

Here's a photo of the bar, perhaps not the best condition. It's a nice bar anyway and I liked it, my offer went through so it wasn't even that expensive. In my opinion not too bad for my first Zähringer Löwen Orden 2.Class with Swords. Sellers photos.

baden zähringer löwen bar.2.jpg

Hi Dansson,   All things are relative and if you got a very good buy and like it, that's all that matters. I was under the impression that you were seeking a single insignia for a type collection, thus my comments. Here's a link to a seller of the OEK catalog I mentioned.

http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/OEK-German-Orders-Medals-1800-1945-reference-catalog-new-issue-2017-/371896842675?hash=item5696c779b3:g:2q4AAOSwol5YznA-

Happy Collecting! Frank D.

3 hours ago, scottplen said:

See nothing wrong with it ! Remember it's 100 years old or so !

Hi Scott, Re: your "wrong" comment..."wrong" is subjective, not easily quantifiable. And age has nothing to do with condition. There are ancient coins that are in perfect mint state after having existed for 2000 years. The point I was making is that there are gradations of condition with medals as with coins or any collectible. And unless we're going to keep our collections in the family when we're gone (they'll sell too eventually), we should figure we're going to have to sell at some point. So why not try to acquire the best condition possible, because future potential buyers will want to buy the best condition possible too.

In 50+ years of collecting, buying and selling as a full-time dealer, I've seen large collections sold by collectors who spent well into five figures and held the items for 20 to 40 years. But they almost always bought the cheapest low-end stuff they could find, and it's still low end and not very desirable when sold. My observations of the current market is that buyers want rarity and top condition items and are willing to pay a premium to get them.

By the way, these comments refer to anonymous or un-named Orders or medals only, i.e., as in a type collection. Named or attributed medals are a whole different ballgame.

Here's my Zahringer Lion. I loved it when I bought it 20+ years ago, and if I could find it, I'm sure I still would!

Happy Collecting, Frank D.

Germany Baden Zahringer Lion Kn 2nd SW obv.jpg

Germany Baden Zahringer Lion Kn 2nd SW rev.jpg

Edited by medalworld
    mis-spelling

Thank you all for the nice comments and advice.

Some really nice examples have been shown here.

So far I've been mainly a collector of mainly Finnish awards from our War of Libertation 1918 and a collector of Iron Crosses. As I've acquired some nice bars during recent years from the Ostsee Division, the orders of the different German states have started to become a new area of interest as some bars have contained some of these.

Best regards,

Daniel