News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Italian Marshal's Baton?

This was new one on me, albeit a pleasant surprise, but does anyone know anything about the baton seen in the image here being born at the funeral of the Italian Marshal Luigi Cadorna?

I have never seen an Italian Marshal's baton - or what appears to be one - before , although I have seen similar batons in Royal Savoy portraiture of monarchs from the 19th century, where I had taken them to be sceptres rather than military batons. 

I presume it is a Marshal's baton, given its design and the fact is bears Savoy crosses. 

Bearing in mind that I had never seen any such officer of rank carrying one, I was wondering if it was merely a presentation piece rather than an baton?

Luigi Cadorna Baton Italian Marshal.jpg

• 1 month later...

Gentlemen : The bastone de maresciallo existed .its the one showed in the photo .It was of rather simple but elegant design .gold extremes and the rod covered with red velvet the crosses of Savoy were in silver. Please take a look to : www museobadoglio.altervista.org .img bastone .there is a photo of Badoglio s baton .with the footnote that the baton was a present of the Italians of Brazil .as apostille , King Vittorio Emanuelle 3 was famous for his care and parsimonia with the money . specially with the funds of the State and the Royal House .the batons were expensive so ..if anyone desires to donate a baton ,welcomed ! The highest decoration of the Kingdom was the Collare della Annunziata . the collar must be returned at the recipients death . well It happened during the voyage to Brindisi that the King asked to his AdC ,a captain Cuneo ,said me you are son of X Cuneo ? Yes his Majesty . Then your grandfather was A Cuneo . Yes his Majesty . Ah his Collare was not returned , Perhaps it is into a hidden cabinet of your family Palazzo . When you returns to the Palazzo I Encommend to find the collar.

The title of Maresciallo was a creation of Mussolini .was conceded to a few generals . Seven of WW1 actuation ,two of the Ethiopian war and Four of WW2 . The King and Mussolini were created Maresciallo del Impero , 

• 2 years later...
    5 hours ago, Bayern said:

Hello ,  Any mention of the owner ?

I do not remember any owner (it was 4 years ago) and have not found any label in the photos. I also have a faint recollection that the exhibits in the library were missing detailed labelling.

On a second look, under the reflection of light onto the protective glass, to the left of the purple baton is the top of the storing case also in purple velvet and to the right another jewelled, red baton.

Carol I , As I explained before the title of Maresciallo d Italia was a creation of Mussolini naturally under the Savoia Dinasty Reign . Two of these Marshals were Armando Diaz and Pietro Badoglio. Both batons are conserved and were of Ivory with gold fittings ,covered with dark red velvet and with Savoia crosses on the body . silver crosses . 

I see no contradiction with the batons in the Royal Library that could have been the symbol of the king's position as commander in chief of the army. The presence of the decorative Savoyard knots on one of them places it undeniably in Savoy.

13 hours ago, Carol I said:

I see no contradiction with the batons in the Royal Library that could have been the symbol of the king's position as commander in chief of the army. The presence of the decorative Savoyard knots on one of them places it undeniably in Savoy.

Of course, the Savoyan Knot could relate to de Sardinian Dinasty or to Savoia Carignan Branch ,punctually ,Prince Eugen Of Savoy Carignan the great Feldherr in Habsburg service . I searched for portraits of Sardinian and Italian Kings looking for Marshal batons .no finds 

6 hours ago, Bayern said:

Of course, the Savoyan Knot could relate to de Sardinian Dinasty or to Savoia Carignan Branch ,punctually ,Prince Eugen Of Savoy Carignan the great Feldherr in Habsburg service . I searched for portraits of Sardinian and Italian Kings looking for Marshal batons .no finds 

The mystery baton also made me interested to look a bit more and I have found on Wikipedia the following portrait of Victor Amadeus III of Sardinia with a red baton with white crosses. Of course, it is not purple and with Savoy knots, but indicates that batons may have existed already in the 18th century. To me the style of the baton in the Royal Library of Turin is reminiscent of a later period in the 19th century (but I may be wrong).

Clementi_-_Victor_Amadeus_III.jpg.7926ff0cb5e5770027b33d0dd4680ce4.jpg

• 3 years later...