News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Mystery Mapcase ... which nation?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris

i spent ages looking through google images last night. Nothing quite the same is there.

I couldn't find a pic of an Austro Hungarian though.

Ww2 German shared some features..... but the closest match I saw was Imperial Russian....

just a thought...

tony

{{{ PS  trying to tempt Bayern into finding us a picture please!}}}

On 30/10/2017 at 00:54, Bayern said:

Gentlemen : To me is a Austro Hungarian mapcase of the type used with the pre Pike grey ,field uniform 

Hi Chris

we'll find the elusive little f'

what does yours look like from the side please?

just seen this one.....

IMG_4230.thumb.PNG.877706befa48aeba52807cba13cb07c5.PNG

------/--//-------

On yours its the 'locking' mechanism I find unusual.

The 'key' type fastener is not common hence my previous Russian suggestion. I can't find the image of that now - of course!

Any chance of a close up of the fastener please?

cheers

tony

Gentlemen , They tempted me . some explications : Its not Russian ,because is made of poor quality leather, not German .the next week i promise to post a figure of a hungarian book .showing a kuk officer carrying the mapcase . and to finish , the last object posted is a tornister.

29 minutes ago, Bayern said:

Gentlemen , They tempted me . some explications : Its not Russian ,because is made of poor quality leather, not German .the next week i promise to post a figure of a hungarian book .showing a kuk officer carrying the mapcase . and to finish , the last object posted is a tornister.

Result!

tony

Chris : Your mapcase is probably as i said , of a older type ,used by Austro Hungarian officers and cadet officers between 1880 and 1909 .made of black leather . but after the replacement by the tan leather type , your model continued in use .

On 21/11/2017 at 03:20, Bayern said:

Chris : Your mapcase is probably as i said , of a older type ,used by Austro Hungarian officers and cadet officers between 1880 and 1909 .made of black leather . but after the replacement by the tan leather type , your model continued in use .

Brilliant!

Bayern do you get frustrated with us?? I can't help laughing. You knew what it was all the time!

Nice one both, pleasure

tony