News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Info about Kapit?n von Keyserlingk

I own a turkish real gold lyakat medal that, so i habe been told, comes from the estate of Walter Freiherr von Keyserlingk Kapit?n SMS Kaiser. can somebody be so kind and give me somer further information about von Keyserlingk?

thanks in advance

haynau

Guest Rick Research

I would think that was unlikely--

both because he served nowhere near Turkey, and was too senior for that to have been a "visiting dinner party" type present.

Walter Freiherr von Keyserlingk was born in Stettin 27 June 1869 and died in Wiesbaden 10 December 1946.

He served in the navy 16.4.86- 24.11.19

Kapit?n zur See 29.8.10

Konteradmiral zS 31.5.17

char. Vizeadmiral zS aD

He was naval attach? to Russia and the three Scandinavian countries 1908-12,

Captain of SMS "Lothringen" 1912-16

Captain of SMS "Kaiser" 28.1.16-1.6.17

simultaneously 2nd Admiral of the IV. Geschwader for a few months in 1917

Chief of Operations in the Admiralty Staff June 1917 to August 1918

and chief of minewsweeping in the Baltic Octoiber 1918 to July 1919.

He was arrested by the Gestapo in 1941 and jailed for 3 months-- boasted of in his Biblio Verlag biography--

which omits mentioning that the arrest was a result of his demented (even by NAZI "standards" :speechless1::speechless1::speechless1: ) anti-Semitic ravings in public.

His only known awards during the war were a Red Eagle Order 2nd Class with oakleaves and Swords gazetted on 31 October 1917, and both classes of the Iron Cross and Oldenburg's Friedrich August crosses.

Haynau, there were several auctions on ebay some time ago with Von Keyserlingks things - did you get it there??? I ask because these auctions were NOT from Kapit?n von Keyserlingk only but from I think 3 members of the family!!!! Maybe another officer of the navy from his family sailed in turkish waters.....

Haynau, there were several auctions on ebay some time ago with Von Keyserlingks things - did you get it there??? I ask because these auctions were NOT from Kapit?n von Keyserlingk only but from I think 3 members of the family!!!! Maybe another officer of the navy from his family sailed in turkish waters.....

Yes i did, you are absolutely right Heiko. the gold-lyakat comes from ebay. so i have to search for another member of the keyserlingk-family

haynau

Guest Rick Research

Actually, IF there is any accuracy to the family name at all, there were TWO possible just plain "von" Keyserlingks--

Harold (1889-1917) was naval commander of the German Embassy guard at Constantinople in 1914. He commanded a Turkish torpedo boat which blew up a Russian gunboat at Sevastapol, then was forced aground while arracking an Allied cruiser and interned in thn-neutral Greece in 1915, being released, transferred to the submarine service. Killed in action in the English Channel as Oberleutnant zur See commanding "UB 36."

His brother (both were sons of Oberstleutnant aD Kurt von Keyserlingk and Adelheid von Pelet-Narbonne)

Albin-Karl (1887-after 1931) was commissioned in the 4. Garde Regiment zu Fuss, but transferred to the Marine Infanterie in 1913. HE served in "Sonderkommando Turkei" January 1915 to January 1916, in Flanders to October 1916, then was back in Palestine with "Sonderformation 'Pascha'" until captured by the British in September 1918. He had EK1,2, Saxe-Ernestine House Order-Knight 2X, Saxon Albert Order-Knight 2X awarded 16.2.17 but for pre-October 1916 service in Flanders. No other awards known. Hauptmann 5.10.16 A4a.

IF the name is even remotely accurate, EITHER of these could have been possible.

Guest Rick Research

In 1918 EK1 and Johanniter Order. Wedig served entirely in torpedo boats and was never closer to Turkey than the Dutch coast! :cheeky:

Sometimes the dutch coast is closer to Turkey than some think.... :P

Yes, Stogie, we were ALL the underbidders on these things... ;) there was a nice medal bar with RAO with bow when I remember right - I was just able to get some small things there, a EK2 and a mini RAO4 on lapelbow...

Heiko, I remember this sale as well.... I believe I was the underbidder on that cased Gold Liaket Medal...... finest one I have ever seen.

i was one of the underbidders aswell but i knew the collector who bought it. He had some advantage in knowledge. he lived nextdoor to the seller and had the opportunity to inspect the medal. soon he found out that it was an lyakat in real gold. (of course he didn't tell the seller :rolleyes:

some weeks afterwards he needed money for an expensive imperial aquisition that was more in his interests und that is the way the medal came , for some surcharge, to me.

haynau