News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

U-Boat Badge "Winners" Photo Collection

No U-Boat badge at this stage yet, but look what he does have :o

One of several who entered the U-Bootwaffe after service in naval aviation.

For interest, rare muetzenband of KM air-sea rescue/recon unit from my collection. I know it is a bit off subject, but these units performed a great service during the war. Some of these cross overs from the KM sea rescue/recon side of the war may well have gone into the U-boat arm as these were top officers in the KM, when the naval air arm was abolished.

John

Edited by John Robinson

• 2 weeks later...
    • Replies 54
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, the naval air arm of the KM existed, as far as I know, from around 1936 to when Herman Goring took the planes away in 1939. The naval air arm was called Luftkreis IV then Luftwaffenkommando See, around 300 planes.

John

• 11 months later...

Great photo's everyone.It is an area i've just started to get into as a collector,mainly Hilfskreuzer related.This it the only photo i have that shows the U-Boat badge.It is a Hoffman press photo of Atlantis Commander Bernhard Rogge,Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock,U-96 and Reinhard Suhren,U-564 being awarded their Oakleaves.

Regards,Martin.

Great photo's everyone.It is an area i've just started to get into as a collector,mainly Hilfskreuzer related.This it the only photo i have that shows the U-Boat badge.It is a Hoffman press photo of Atlantis Commander Bernhard Rogge,Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock,U-96 and Reinhard Suhren,U-564 being awarded their Oakleaves.

Regards,Martin.

Superb photo Martin !

• 4 months later...

Hello Monsun,

Thank you very much for the identification!

Regards,

Hans Mcilveen

Hello Mr. Mcilveen,

the officer on the right next of Dommes is Oberleutnant (MA) K?lln.

He had also the rank of an SS Obersturmf?hrer, please look at his entry in the guestbook of U 861 (Oesten).

Regards,

Monsun

• 1 month later...

Hello Mr. Mcilveen,

the officer on the right next of Dommes is Oberleutnant (MA) K?lln.

He had also the rank of an SS Obersturmf?hrer, please look at his entry in the guestbook of U 861 (Oesten).

Regards,

Monsun

I've been trying to find out about this guy, as unfortunately I had no details with the copy of the photo I had. During my recent trip to the Archiv I tried to find out some more. One small thing I can add is his job. He is listed at the Archiv as an interpreter (Dolmetscher).

Here is a recent arrival.Shows the U-Boat and Minesweeper badges nicely.Hard to tell from the photo if the swastika is segmented on the U-Boat badge but from the angle of the flag i'm wondering if it is a Zimmermann badges or perhaps a Mayer?

Regards,Martin.

Edited by mwestley

Interesting thread, thanks. Nice images and history.

But:

How many of these "winners" survived the war? Few, I expect.

How many of these "winners" won the war? None.

Hero-worship ought not obscure reality? In more dimensions than just these??

But:

Ed,

I think the term "winners" refers to the badge and not to the war. Correct would have been "recipients", but I assume the person that started the thread has English as his/her second language.

Hardy

Edited by Naxos

If that were the case, Hardy, I'd have absolutely no problem with that. I know the feeling, all too well. Trust me. :cheers"

It is just that sometimes, I fear, that simple fact gets forgotten among the "Third Reich" crowd.

It is just that sometimes, I fear, that simple fact gets forgotten among the "Third Reich" crowd.

Ed, I know exactly what you mean and it is good to have people on this forum that are sensitive to that. I would not be here if that was not the case.

Regards, Hardy

Edited by Naxos

• 3 weeks later...

If that were the case, Hardy, I'd have absolutely no problem with that. I know the feeling, all too well. Trust me. :cheers"

You make a lot of assumptions about the "3rd reich crowd" so I'll draw the same conclusions about you and your communist memorabilia.

Edited by DaKra

Ed,

I think the term "winners" refers to the badge and not to the war. Correct would have been "recipients", but I assume the person that started the thread has English as his/her second language.

Hardy

With respect Hardy, I think language has nothing to do with it "winner" is a commonly used term for those with English as their first language too in relation to those who have receieved awards. Just try a Google search for "VC Winner" and see how many hits you get.

Virtually every post in this thread has related to the badges/insignia shown being worn in the photographs. I see no hint of hero worship anywhere here. This seems more a case of an individual with his own agenda and a bee in his bonnet about those who he contemptuously refers to as the "3rd Reich crowd", who enjoys starting conflict and whom I am sure could start a fight in an empty room.

This ends here. Any further snide comments and I will go through this thread and delete those posts which do not direct relate to the subject matter.

But:

Oh Puleeease Ed.

You know I am not a Right winger by any means, but you said it yourself... how many of them survived? Few. Ergo...brave men. Brave men equal medals. Medals equal interesting things to collect.... especially BRAVERY medals, irrespective of "which side they were on"

As far as "How many of these "Winners" won the war?

Is that was a criteria for medal collecting? we could toss all the medals from the middle east if so. Not collect Japanese. Communism was a failure. Russian Crimea a waste. Anglo Boer war medals to Boers. A lot of Italian stuff.

You look down on a lot of British Colonial stuff won by Anglo`s, but they WERE the winners most of the time.

Either I am confused, or you are way off base on this.

Best

Chris