News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

16th Battalion Welsh Regiment. Cardiff pals badge.

13 hours ago, Farkas said:

Hi Gents, Jerry

my two Jerry....

hope you like 

tony

Edit

amongst these....

Both look fine tony, the dug up is post 1920 with Welch spelling though is  a one piece? and the bimetal is pre 1290 with Welsh spelling.

Here are two dug up great war Royal Welsh Fusilers

RWF dug pair font.jpg

RWF dug up pair reverse.jpg

Some more from the RWF, both wars, both spellings

RWF both wars montage m.jpg

• 10 months later...

Hi Gents

fingers crossed for these two...

Only one lug left out of four 

1F9E6F93-B01B-4844-8211-355DC81B52F1.thumb.jpeg.7bf5257aaa8e9fad6fcec9e11eb5321c.jpeg

48561B04-930D-4A86-864A-BD3349E33273.thumb.jpeg.6f5726b1f27b56b61292bb4f3372c66b.jpeg

8819805D-DD78-4F32-9FEC-E0E0310C94BA.thumb.jpeg.3f96006bfb7db30863e48a6e47cb596e.jpeg

I picked these two collar.(thanx Terry) tabs up together... 

Apparently they were found at a closed scrap metal yard ——

Such a difference to this one :

1CBBDAB7-D3BF-4DFE-8B47-BE8207574F40.thumb.png.5f40a6a411c6fa91d17b561bb0bff473.png.

So I hope these be genuine and escaped the melting pot!

hope you like Gents

tony

On 16/11/2017 at 20:52, Jerry B said:

Sorry to have been the bearer of bad news.

By the way, I am also a Cardiff lad, well not a lad any more and no longer living in the Diff.

My Cardiff Pals medal.

welsh Lewis john, 16th Welsh, SW Bords, 4th Mons.jpg

Another photo of a Cardiff pals man, note he wears the Welsh cap badge

16 th welsh pc, not him.JPG

On 22/10/2018 at 00:13, Farkas said:

Hi Gents

fingers crossed for these two...

Only one lug left out of four 

1F9E6F93-B01B-4844-8211-355DC81B52F1.thumb.jpeg.7bf5257aaa8e9fad6fcec9e11eb5321c.jpeg

48561B04-930D-4A86-864A-BD3349E33273.thumb.jpeg.6f5726b1f27b56b61292bb4f3372c66b.jpeg

8819805D-DD78-4F32-9FEC-E0E0310C94BA.thumb.jpeg.3f96006bfb7db30863e48a6e47cb596e.jpeg

I picked these two collar.(thanx Terry) tabs up together... 

Apparently they were found at a closed scrap metal yard ——

Such a difference to this one :

1CBBDAB7-D3BF-4DFE-8B47-BE8207574F40.thumb.png.5f40a6a411c6fa91d17b561bb0bff473.png.

So I hope these be genuine and escaped the melting pot!

hope you like Gents

tony

Sadly they are also copies, the originals have a number of quite different details, note the wings of the dragons for one and the lettering of the CARDIFF at the base, both very different

16th Cardiff service bn not pals badges detail.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
    On 25/10/2018 at 16:17, Jerry B said:

Sadly they are also copies, the originals have a number of quite different details, note the wings of the dragons for one and the lettering of the CARDIFF at the base, both very different

16th Cardiff service bn not pals badges detail.jpg

Hi Jerry

the one below is on Ebay at the moment.

D7B42294-DA5A-4815-ADAA-1CE4A5DF48A3.thumb.png.ef57245a8bf847f7ffc2c21b6b1f80f3.png

.....I see a FAKE!

* wings wrong

* CARDIFF lettering wrong

* Motto across the top has no gaps

——//——

I’m learning!

thanks for your help....

tony

12 hours ago, Farkas said:

Hi Jerry

the one below is on Ebay at the moment.

D7B42294-DA5A-4815-ADAA-1CE4A5DF48A3.thumb.png.ef57245a8bf847f7ffc2c21b6b1f80f3.png

.....I see a FAKE!

* wings wrong

* CARDIFF lettering wrong

* Motto across the top has no gaps

——//——

I’m learning!

thanks for your help....

tony

All true, the wrong things become obvious once you can compare to an original.

I can't remember the last time I saw an original for sale

• 4 weeks later...
    On 11/11/2018 at 09:30, Jerry B said:

All true, the wrong things become obvious once you can compare to an original.

I can't remember the last time I saw an original for sale

Jerry B, I would really like to PM you with my dilemma but it wouldn’t let me so I’m guessing I need to be commenting on things first. I think the picture of my family member might be wearing the same cap badge as the young man above with his cap on the table. We are confused because we think it’s welsh of some sorts but he was born and raised in Coatbridge, Scotland. I just don’t want to annoy people by commenting like crazy on here :) 

Hi Cochrane,

ive just seen your post.

You’re most welcome to add to this thread. Show us your picture if you want....

Go for it....

Best wishes

tony

On 03/12/2018 at 19:52, Cochrane37787 said:

Jerry B, I would really like to PM you with my dilemma but it wouldn’t let me so I’m guessing I need to be commenting on things first. I think the picture of my family member might be wearing the same cap badge as the young man above with his cap on the table. We are confused because we think it’s welsh of some sorts but he was born and raised in Coatbridge, Scotland. I just don’t want to annoy people by commenting like crazy on here :) 

On 03/12/2018 at 19:52, Cochrane37787 said:

Show us the image and we can try and help you.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I forgot about this website and having posted so only just seeing this. 

The soldier in the picture is who we thought was my grandad Serjeant John Cochrane, 37787, HLI 1st & 18th battalion. Died 25th March 1917. Anyway turns out it isn’t him as we have a picture of John Cochrane from Coatbridge and the Great War book.... we also have a picture of his brother William from the same book so we know it’s not him!!

Well anyway apparently the man in this picture is our family somewhere along the line but we don’t have anywhere to start... we aren’t able to scan the picture on to laptop so I’ve took as best I can of the cap badge on the hope someone can help and I noticed it looks very similar to many badges posted above! If we could get a regiment or a few to search through that would be fantastic. We want to be able to look at the regiments and skim the names to see if any match family members. 

Thanks for any help! 

John M

DF27AE5E-D8EB-4204-B08E-EB391F0D4D7B.jpeg

6BC05B56-2E5F-4133-92E9-9AEAAB3BD643.jpeg

B53E6296-936B-4091-90BF-EFB47414C8D1.jpeg

BD187C4C-9A35-4F5B-81D9-0F61C90BFE9C.jpeg

Sorry I don’t know how to edit the above post but I would like to add that most of our family members from before and after the war was all born in or around Coatbridge in Scotland so it’s just weird that he’s went down to wales to join but he might not be related to us at all. 

My wife and my youngest daughter has my head wasted with all this family tree stuff and who’s this soldier and that soldier etc ? they are away back to 1500’s and family on my dads side is all sirs & judges but we don’t know what happened to the big castles and money ??‍♂️ My granny must have blown it all at the bingo ??

C02521E9-73C1-476A-A4AF-CC4BF9E47CA0.png

Hi Gents.

On 08/12/2018 at 09:37, Jerry B said:

Show us the image and we can try and help you.

Hello again John,

apologies, once again I missed your reply,, but hopefully my thoughts are better late than never....No rush to respond,

[[I hope you convince those kids of yours to try looking sideways a little, to look for that family not just backwards,  ]]

Anyway.

First please,

is there anything printed on the Back?  It looks like part of a bigger photo. If not framed Is there a Studio name on it? It might help date the picture....

On 23/12/2018 at 05:31, Cochrane37787 said:

Sorry I forgot about this website and having posted so only just seeing this. 

The soldier in the picture is who we thought was my grandad Serjeant John Cochrane, 37787, HLI 1st & 18th battalion. Died 25th March 1917. Anyway turns out it isn’t him as we have a picture of John Cochrane from Coatbridge and the Great War book.... we also have a picture of his brother William from the same book so we know it’s not him!!

Well anyway apparently the man in this picture is our family somewhere along the line but we don’t have anywhere to start... we aren’t able to scan the picture on to laptop so I’ve took as best I can of the cap badge on the hope someone can help and I noticed it looks very similar to many badges posted above! If we could get a regiment or a few to search through that would be fantastic. We want to be able to look at the regiments and skim the names to see if any match family members. 

Thanks for any help! 

John M

6BC05B56-2E5F-4133-92E9-9AEAAB3BD643.jpeg

Quite a few insignia incorporate the ‘fleur de lis’ feathers .  

I think..  It ‘represents’ the Prince of Wales himself not always the country  ‘Wales’  

I reckon maybe some Gents would be able to narrow down the potential candidates.,.

Its an interesting photo in its own right.....

I would love to see all of the picture if you can? Please post!

Despite your Mans rank, a senior NCO. he has no medal bar. It seems strange to me. More that one has been removed?

The belt buckle is likely WW1

and

No collar tabs.

———————////////-//———22

maybe the uniform was provided by the studio on the day, an older set of props....

Best wishes

tony