News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

What is this for? 1. Garde crest

So I was digging through some of the items I have about and came across this.  It appears to be a 1. Garde zu Fuss crest with a couple of attachment points.  Could it be a an officer's pickelhaube emblem?

Garde 1.jpg

Garde 2.jpg

Garde 3.jpg

I know of them worn on the arm for Btn Lichterfelde 15 RW Brig,  which I have noted as being a Freikorps garde sleeve badge prior. That may be slightly garbled from the source comments made on a photo a man showed of his grandfather wearing it, otherwise appearing to be a standard 1918 soldier photo. I  am sure someone can explain it more fully. Hopefully that gives you something to start with.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I recently acquired one of these as well.  Here is the description that was provided. 

Prussia. An Emblem from an 1895 Prussian Guards Officer's Pickelhaube

A finely made helmet plate with period attention to detail, base star in die stamped silver with 4 loop attachment points on reverse, centre with white and black enamel and gilt bronze lettering, measuring 88mm in diameter, overall very fine.

Best Regards,

JustinG

Full Prussian Black Eagle pickelhaube plate.png

Prussian Black eagle pickelhaube plate .png

On 11/15/2017 at 12:19, Fritz die Spinne said:

I know of them worn on the arm for Btn Lichterfelde 15 RW Brig,  which I have noted as being a Freikorps garde sleeve badge prior. That may be slightly garbled from the source comments made on a photo a man showed of his grandfather wearing it, otherwise appearing to be a standard 1918 soldier photo. I  am sure someone can explain it more fully. Hopefully that gives you something to start with.

The badge worn by Btn Lichterfelde 15 RW Brig is different than this star and smaller.

5a199a83422c4_15RwBtl.jpg.111629498a9381b1d06f622f1b9803c9.jpg5a199a95252af_15RwBtlrev.jpg.c7f3b579f5c6bf88174716d3eeb77e66.jpg5a199acdb6f54_btnLichterfelde_15RwBrig.thumb.jpg.5ff21972f2f8bdcda92cb024bc21659b.jpg 

Well, as I now see with the holes in the first posting and the photo proof in the second. I think you have similar devices.  Mine on the back has four loops that most likely attach to a pickelhaube.  Great research and information.

Regards,

JustinG

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 16:30, 2dresq said:

Well, as I now see with the holes in the first posting and the photo proof in the second. I think you have similar devices.  Mine on the back has four loops that most likely attach to a pickelhaube.  Great research and information.

Regards,

JustinG

I saw the one you mention for sale which got me to thinking.  I still have no idea what mine is actually for, but it was sewn onto something.  Definitely good information here.