News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bulgarian St Alexander Grand Cross badge?

On 03/05/2018 at 04:54, Igor Ostapenko said:

MG Ivan Fichev , white cross on the neck , without star of Order 

Igor, I don't think it means white cross on the neck without a star is 100% 3rd class.

Look at this photo of General Kisov - he's wearing white cross only, which is from his 2nd class set. The photo is from 1930s (he became General Lieutenant in 1930). 

GK_1.jpg

Next earlier photo is of him wearing the same white neck cross, this time star is present.

GK_2.jpg

Finally, photo of him wearing his green 3rd class cross, before being awarded with 2nd class set.

GK_3.jpg

The point I am trying to make - people wore 2nd classes with and without the star, it's not that easy to determine which class a person is wearing. We can't say just by looking at the photos - white cross, no star - certainly 3rd class. 

• Replies 58
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, 922F said:

Very unusual case title variant!  Typeface somewhat resembles that of much later Huguenin marked cases.

Title appears to be written,  not stamped. I think initially there was no title on the case. 

It's made by Rothe.

• 1 year later...

Hi Igor,

Do you try to prove the point that your 3rd Class is before 1908 You might be right

All we try to do to help you to get to the right conclusion We do not try to diminish your collector achievements.  Relax

There is not a clear cut exactly when the shift from Princely crown to a Kings Crown took place

Here are some examples that could not fit the criteria for the models of the particular period

3rd Class Order of St Alexander- Rothe with unusual crown for a Grand Cross both the cross and the ribbon loop are marked for Rothe The other cross is typical Rothe Commander with green enamel

Grand Cross  of the Order for Civil Merit with Kings crown, however the cross has the features of the Princely model with hand made leaves

001.JPG

003.JPG

987d3f9a7571e9c6501e026853b3b031.jpg

• 4 years later...
    2 hours ago, eurorders said:

I always wondered how the jewelers of these got that red enamel inside the crown? Very effective design in its outcome appearance

Hi

Yes indeed very nice design The Red enamel is a separate two parts piece ( metal frame with the cred enamel backed on top} Together with the arms and the cross are assembled  to a rod that is attached to the both sides on the bottom of the crown.  The cross  can swing back and forth

Edited by Graf