News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Interesting photographs of decorated people

Hi all,

I thought we need a separate thread for interesting photographs and portraits, rather than putting such images in between discussions of other threads. I hope you'd agree. 

Here's the first one: 

Prince Alexander I of Bulgaria (probably photographed after his abdication) wearing a modest set of three decorations on his chest:

• bravery order (4th class) - interesting example - perhaps one of those mythical French-made ones (due to the swords)
    • Voluntary corps medal of 1881- interesting because the Prince wasn't really eligible to be decorated with it but apparently he was
    • medal for the war with Serbia (1886) - not sure whether this is indeed this particular medal (could be something foreign). This fact poses the question whether the Prince received a 'replacement' 2nd type medal (like the rest) or stuck with the 1st type. The answer to this question would perhaps solve the myth of the 'ribbon of different colour'  for the 1st type.

and

• The star - Order of Leopold with swords (not that interesting but very untypical), though at first glance I took it for a Bravery order star :)

Thanks

Ilieff

alexander.jpg

high_contrast.png

star.png

Edited by ilieff

Hi,

The Order for bravery looks like the one with the lilies

The The Order of Leopold Grand Cordon Star -Military Division is a very nice an early model It is typical shape

here are pictures of similar Star

Also some unusual pictures of French generals wearing Bulgarian Order for Military Merit -not very common

Graf

13937927_1135610026500152_1143615486869016435_o.jpg

French General  with OMM Com.JPG

French General with OMM Star.JPG

On 15.11.2017 at 21:29, ilieff said:

Hi all,

I thought we need a separate thread for interesting photographs and portraits, rather than putting such images in between discussions of other threads. I hope you'd agree. 

Here's the first one: 

Prince Alexander I of Bulgaria (probably photographed after his abdication) wearing a modest set of three decorations on his chest:

• bravery order (4th class) - interesting example - perhaps one of those mythical French-made ones (due to the swords)
    • Voluntary corps medal of 1881- interesting because the Prince wasn't really eligible to be decorated with it but apparently he was
    • medal for the war with Serbia (1886) - not sure whether this is indeed this particular medal (could be something foreign). This fact poses the question whether the Prince received a 'replacement' 2nd type medal (like the rest) or stuck with the 1st type. The answer to this question would perhaps solve the myth of the 'ribbon of different colour'  for the 1st type.

and

• The star - Order of Leopold with swords (not that interesting but very untypical), though at first glance I took it for a Bravery order star :)

Thanks

Ilieff

alexander.jpg

high_contrast.png

star.png

Great photo !!!  

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Few photos with medals 

F6C03A4D-DE2E-465B-9F15-5A80CAC403C1.jpeg

8BA329B2-A7E0-4763-9296-FA737110F0CD.jpeg

93BB2D3B-76E8-43AA-A5C6-52A3C0001B17.jpeg

On 18/11/2017 at 11:43, Igor Ostapenko said:

Great photo !!!  

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Few photos with medals 

F6C03A4D-DE2E-465B-9F15-5A80CAC403C1.jpeg

8BA329B2-A7E0-4763-9296-FA737110F0CD.jpeg

93BB2D3B-76E8-43AA-A5C6-52A3C0001B17.jpeg

Princess Marie Louise of Bourbon Parma ;first wife of the then Prince Ferdinand of Bulgaria . mother of King Boris and Prince Kyrill.

Image below, among many others, suggests that Post 10 appears to be a portrait of the formidable Princess Clémentine of Orléans,  Ferdinand's mother.   He is reputed to have composed  the inscription on her gravesite memorial, "King's daughter, no Queen herself, yet King's mother."  This may explain her award display.   

Clementine with Boris.jpg

Edited by 922F
    spelck

922F,

Portrait on Post #10 is not of King's mother, but of Anastasia Tosheva. She was famous Bulgarian teacher, volunteer during Russian-Turkish war, director of girls school Stara Zagora and mother of famous WWI General Stefan Toshev.

https://bg.wikipedia.org/wiki/Анастасия_Тошева

PICT1714.jpg

PICT1715.jpg

Edited by new world

12 hours ago, ilieff said:

The King in a Nazi fieldmarshal's uniform.

By the way, note the large Maltese cross at the bottom - this is the decoration which I still cannot identify. 

23659455_1572326902820973_3945207593476737343_n.jpg

That's very unusual photo!

Ferdinand was promoted to the Fieldmarshal rank on 18 January 1916:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_German_field_marshals#cite_note-Matthews-95

Here he wears WWII period Fieldmarshal uniform. This means his Imperial rank was transferred to and recognized by Nazi period German army.

Edited by new world

11 hours ago, new world said:

This means his Imperial rank was transferred to and recognized by Nazi period German army.

Perhaps yes, perhaps not.

Either way, it was more of an honorary title in these years, as opposed to WW1 period.

3 hours ago, new world said:

that Nazi uniform looks odd on him

I agree.

By the way, here's another image of a person with a 'lily' order for bravery (looks like the lower-quality variation).  This is a Petar Baklov, commercial trader.

30000651_001_m.jpg

On 27/11/2017 at 12:37, ilieff said:

Perhaps yes, perhaps not.

Either way, it was more of an honorary title in these years, as opposed to WW1 period.

Some old Austro Hungarian Generals received honorary ranks in the German Wehrmacht .for example Eduard von Bohm Ermolli who was granted the rank of German Feldmarschall. anther example was Freiherr von Balldorf promoted first to wehrmacht lieutenant general and then to General der infanterie . King Ferdinand must have received the same recognition .Hitler during his table conversations expressed his high steem for the King.who after WW1 returned to his ancestral home in Germany. Ferdinand was roman catholic . so the cross over his left lower side must be a Maltese Order one and not the Cross of the Johanitter Order common among lutherans.

• 2 weeks later...

Nikola Kostov - I presume he's the youngest 'soldier' to be decorated with a bravery cross (just 10 years old at that time). 

Supposedly, he was decorated with the 3rd class but my suspicion is that it's actually the 4th class.

http://img.bg.sof.cmestatic.com/media/images/600x/Nov2017/2111504043.jpg

НиколаКостов.jpg

Edited by ilieff

• 3 weeks later...