News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A sabre I've been offered

The most useful information for identifying this will be the words/letters/numbers and symbols stamped at the top of the blade.  In this case, it appears, under the two 'wings' which project downward from the hilt.  Those mat include maker's name, arsenal marks and so on.  

The style is common to a number of European armies but I think - guessing mostly - that it may be German.  Or possibly one of th Scandanavian countries, who copied german style in many military fashions. 

Sorry I can't say more, not my field, but having the stampings will help.

A nice piece . It is certainly of German type , but without the knowledge of the marks ant stamps of the sabre is hard to said more .this type of sabre was carried until ww1 by artillery officers ,but also by some others . please post the marks .

• 3 months later...
    On 11/18/2017 at 00:54, Bayern said:

A nice piece . It is certainly of German type , but without the knowledge of the marks ant stamps of the sabre is hard to said more .this type of sabre was carried until ww1 by artillery officers ,but also by some others . please post the marks .

The Handguard looks like the  Prussian "Bluecher Sabre" what originated from the British 1798  introduced Light Cavallry Sabre (most thinking came from the Indian Tulwar) but I think was inspired by Eastern Europe Pattern Hugaria /Poland Austria..

Hi Gents ..,on German Sabres (Saebel)

there was Inspector Marks (Number under Crown and also Imperial Cyfer like "W" (Wilhelm I/II) under a Crown ect.

on the "Ricasso" that's the upper Part of the Blade near the Guard &  Maker Marks ,as "Solingen":"& the small of the Back,   also  Weapon & Unit (Regiment)  Number on the Scabbard Top &  small Cifer on the "Schlepper" the Iron what drags on the Ground (only Officers where allowed  to let the Sabre "schlepp"..(not sure now the down bend  nice ornated  Guard

looks Skandinavien (Danish??)sorry I got no Photo

but surly  Markings can be viewed on Sides  like  (British Blades?) dealing with Sabres &  there Types?Hope this helps?

Best Regards Germanski

Edited by Jurgen Fritz
    additions

P.S. I think now it's Skandinavian?

I see under the "Langet" thats the( "Ear's" on both Sides of the Guard going over the Scabbard when sheathed)a Marking??

Look ad that Please?

Not sure what it's worth..maybe  £ 200 - 400 depends how rare  the Sabre is?Needs an Expert to decide..

Best Jurgen (Germanski)

:)P.P.S: I thought maybe a Private purchased  German "Fusilier Officer Dress  Sabre" but no..

looked ad many Pictures there Guards is less ornate  and  slightly different straight Parry element..are  there any engravings etchings on the Blade?

I believe it's an  Scandinavian Officer Dress Sabre..maybe someone know more?

Best Regards Jurgen

On 11/17/2017 at 14:09, peter monahan said:

The most useful information for identifying this will be the words/letters/numbers and symbols stamped at the top of the blade.  In this case, it appears, under the two 'wings' which project downward from the hilt.  Those mat include maker's name, arsenal marks and so on.  

The style is common to a number of European armies but I think - guessing mostly - that it may be German.  Or possibly one of th Scandanavian countries, who copied german style in many military fashions. 

Sorry I can't say more, not my field, but having the stampings will help.

I agree with You,there is a Mark to see under the Langet (Ear) I think it's a Scandinavian Officers Dress sword)Regards Jurgen