Gentleman's Military Interest Club

Hi Gents

a pair of collar badges. I've cleaned the one on the right a bit.

from the front.... no detail

IMG_4477.thumb.JPG.30c3308ce4e410aaa9631447a0e97d21.JPG

From the reverse.....  detail !

IMG_4481.thumb.JPG.81200f58b7ce9e97f931d466c508fe2e.JPGIMG_4478.thumb.JPG.58b186b65d4a6f23519a5aafcb954832.JPG

IMG_4485.thumb.JPG.16eae52bc2050ef0229abcfe52e278a8.JPG

in reverse it says South africa around the top but I can't suss the rest...

hope you like Gents

tony

The wording reads 'South Africa' at the top and 'Suid- Afrika' at the bottom.  This is the SA Artillery collar badge.  Worn in chrome since the 1970s, and also used as a beret badge.  There are several variants, some with the wording on the obverse.

On 27/11/2017 at 15:38, Arthur R said:

The wording reads 'South Africa' at the top and 'Suid- Afrika' at the bottom.  This is the SA Artillery collar badge.  Worn in chrome since the 1970s, and also used as a beret badge.  There are several variants, some with the wording on the obverse.

Thanks Arthur

thats good to know

May I ask, do you think then that these would have been issued as I have them? I.e. plain obverse yet detailed rear.   

Thanks again

tony

22 minutes ago, Farkas said:

May I ask, do you think then that these would have been issued as I have them? I.e. plain obverse yet detailed rear.   

That I couldn't say.  It's certainly odd, using the obverse die for a plain badge with the reverse die for a detailed badge.

1 hour ago, Arthur R said:

That I couldn't say.  It's certainly odd, using the obverse die for a plain badge with the reverse die for a detailed badge.

Yes odd isn't it.

When I first noticed the reverse detail I initially thought the front must have been rubbed plain but thought that surely the 'top' part detail would have more loss of detail too.

i hadn't thought about different die(s) until your replies so really appreciate your input Arthur 

tony