News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Odd Pre-WWI-WWI-Post WWI mutt Medal Bar

After perusing many of the great threads on here dedicated to the German States in the WWI era, I had to post this cross. It truly is a mutt IMO and cannot be specifically attributed to anyone other than Prussia, but if this bar could talk about who it's recipient was, it would have one heck of a story to tell. :D

37910618264_e8af635c83_c.jpg

24755680348_a3c35bbbca_c.jpg

From what I can gather, this bar has the following: 

Prussian WWI War Merit Cross for War Aid (worn backwards)

Prussian XV Year Service Medal - sadly the dye in the ribbon faded horribly. 

Südwest Afrika Colonial Service Medal (thankfully the gunk on this one is merely caked on, I'll clean it eventually)

Württemberg Wilhelm Cross for War Merit

Tyrol Service Medal

Saxon Friedrich August Medaille - The ribbon is throwing me, is it for a different time period (Pre-WWI)? 

Thanks for looking! 

Very nice bar. The last medal is the FAM and it is on the noncombatant ribbon. Not too easy to find. To me the fifth medal has been swapped. It could be a pre 1905 Bavarian MVO which will run you some decent money to replace. There was also a Bavarian fireman long service cross given on this ribbon but that doesn’t fit the bar.

In my opinion an official`s bar (Unterbeamter)  may be a paymaster (Unterzahlmeister or something in that way)

Unusual combination. IMO the FAM is a piece made by Scharffenberg in silver.

On November 25, 2017 at 10:37, CRBeery said:

Very nice bar. The last medal is the FAM and it is on the noncombatant ribbon. Not too easy to find. To me the fifth medal has been swapped. It could be a pre 1905 Bavarian MVO which will run you some decent money to replace. There was also a Bavarian fireman long service cross given on this ribbon but that doesn’t fit the bar.

Thank you so much for the info, I do find it odd that the Tyrol made it on there then. I will have to track down that MVO. In your opinion, what should that MVO look like? 

17 hours ago, ixhs said:

In my opinion an official`s bar (Unterbeamter)  may be a paymaster (Unterzahlmeister or something in that way)

Unusual combination. IMO the FAM is a piece made by Scharffenberg in silver.

Thanks for the info, I have seen the "coin silver" FAM's before, but I don't know who any of the makers are. 

Edited by Stormrider59

45 minutes ago, CRBeery said:

Hope this works!

Wow! That is one heck of a thread, judging by what I could gather from the thread, should the cross not have flames to be compatible for this bar? I will also have a check under the ribbon to see what the story is.  

Thanks for the lead! :D 

Edited by Stormrider59

The white ribbon with blue stripes could be a peacetime MVK (bavaria) - i dont think he got a MVO.

The user Hündchen (i dont know if he is active in this forum) knows a lot of about the FAM. There are some lists with it.

14 hours ago, ixhs said:

The white ribbon with blue stripes could be a peacetime MVK (bavaria) - i dont think he got a MVO.

The user Hündchen (i dont know if he is active in this forum) knows a lot of about the FAM. There are some lists with it.

Ah, thank you for the information! 

12 hours ago, dond said:

Perhaps they knew each other.

IMG_0498.JPG

IMG_0499.JPG

Nice looking bar Don! 

In the 5th position, a Bavarian MVK 1st or 2nd form would fit without swords. 
    MVKs or MVOs had to be returned after death. This could be the reason that it 
    no longer exists. The SW Africa medal is made of steel for non-combatants 
    (please do not clean, but preserve). The condition is relatively good
    As an example, I have attached 2 pictures. The first shows a first form VS / RS 
    without swords. On the second one you see a first class VS and RS without swords 
    and a second class with swords. In the first form, the MVK has been only one class.

Best regards 
    Walter

MVK 1 und MVK 2 X VSuRSk.jpg

1mvk 1 Form VSuRSa.jpg

Edited by waldo