News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Types of German Ribbon Bars 1914-18

Guest Rick Research

After seeing David's selection of Saxon ribbon bars with "fashion statement" mini EK devices

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=711&...findpost&p=3966

I thought it might be useful to set aside a thread with all possible types of German ribbon bars worn 1914-1918.

First up: Bavaria.

As an independent Kingdom, Bavaria had its own precedence regulations, in most cases wearing home state awards first.

Top: what became known after 1915 as the "Old Style" ribbon bar, here in characteristic "South German" (most commonly found in Bavaria, Baden, and W?rttemberg) double furled style. When found with hooks on back so that the awards could be slid on and off, this style could be worn as either a full size medal bar or a ribbon bar. This one has no hooks, so was intended as only a ribbon bar.

2nd row left: the most common Bavarian style, doubled 15mm size ribbons

2nd row right: a rather weird Prussian "Old Style" of circa 1914-15 worn by a Bavarian officer.

3rd row: this improvized home made sew-on ribbon bar is approximately the size of British ribbon bars, for scale. The unique combination allows this to be identified as having belonged to Rittmeister Franz von Brentano di Tremezzo, born in 1888.

bottom left: Another typical Bavarian bar, this one using 25mm ribbons.

bottom right: A Bavarian "M1916" ribbon bar-- the designation for the style introduced in Prussia as M1915 to replace what then became the "Old Style" ribbon bars. This one erroneously has the Bavarian Order of Saint Michael ribbon after the 1905 Luitpold Army Jubilee Medal.

• Replies 50
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've always thought this ribbon bar could have been a modern repro, mainly because the reverse is so clean but now I'm not so sure.

What do you think, repro or original?

Tony