Gentleman's Military Interest Club
Paul Deane

Help with a old photograph

Hi,

I'm trying to help my friend find information about her grandfather's military career. She has very little information except the photo I've attached below. He was born in 1920, she thinks he served in World War 2 and stayed in the Indian Army until around 1975. From the research I've done, that looks like a Regiment of Artillery badge on his turban and maybe the insignia of a Major on his shoulder straps. Any insights on the ribbon bar or anything else that someone with more experience might have would be greatly appreciated.

Also any pointers on where else to find more information would be very helpful. If he served in World War 2 would his records still be held by the MOD?

Thanks and regards

Cropped_15085603_10105940768059993_7488813295017207554_n.jpg

Ribbon_bar_enhanced.jpg

I will try to figure out the ribbon bar, since it's a black and white picture that makes it little difficult guess.

Top left to right - 1. General Service medals 2. Paschimi Star 3. Samar Seva Star, 4. Raksha Medal 5. Ribbon not clear (possibly Sangram) 6. Sainya Seva Medal (possibly there but not clear in pic) 7. 20 years long service medal 8. 9 year long service medal 9. Indian independence medal 10. 1939 - 45 star 11. Burma Star 12. British war medal 13. India service medal

I hope you find this helpful

Below are the ribbons for the campaign medals   identified:General Service Medal, 1947, Paschimi Star, 1971, Samar Seva, 1965, Raksha Medal, 1965, 1971-72, Sainya Seva Medal.  Judging by this area, the officer was a late WWII or just post-war enlistment – GSM 1947 – and served until at least 1971.  Quite a career and clearly ‘at the sharp end’ a good bit, as one would expect from a Gunner.  Shabash, huzzor!

India_General_Service_Medal_1947.svg.png

IND_Paschimi_Star_Ribbon.svg.png

IND_Samar_Seva_Star_Ribbon.svg.png

IND_Raksha_Medal_Ribbon.svg.png

IND_Sainya_Seva_Medal_Ribbon.svg.png

His General Service medal would be with clasp Jammu and Kashmir 1947 missed out mentioning that

Thanks so much for your help. It certainly helps illuminate his career and point me in the right direction to try find out more details.

All the best

Paul