Gentleman's Military Interest Club
larsb001

Venezuela Order of the Bust of Bolivar - Question

All, in my collection I have 3 miniature examples of the Order of the Bust of Bolivar. On 2 of them Simon Bolivar is facing left, on the 3rd he's facing right. When checking the net I can find a number of full size badges where he's facing either left or right as well. Is there a reason for this, e.g. a 1st and 2nd type, different grade or some other explanation? I cannot find that info?

Any comments appreciated! And yes, the middle miniature is a small beauty, it's set with 77 small diamonds in total!

Bolivar.jpg.9f94659dedae0d5a4c552dce0af590a7.jpg

I am traveling, but a quick survey of the Spanish language site Condecoraciones de Venezuela (http://condecoracionesdevenezuela.com/civiles-nacionales-orden-del-libertador/) suggests that the bust of Bolivar faces to the left is a pre-1922 versions of all classes of this order while post 1922 versions have Bolivar facing to the right. 

I checked the site you're referring to, and yes, this seems to be the case. I would never have found this site as I don't speak spanish. I believe the mystery is solved.

Thanks alot for your help. 

/Lars

Hi,

and I think, that the mystery is not complete solved.

The source is the book from Maximilian Gritzner, edited 1893. There you can see the bust facing to the right.

5a482a94bf90b_OrdenSimonBolivarGritzner1893K.jpg.a197d67921bffdb42b10613ed4f34f57.jpg

Uwe

Well, that's a fantastic website, to be sure. I'd found it last year but forgotten all about it!

The Condecoraciones de Venezuela website also states that there was some variation in the forms of the full-sized awards for the Orden del Liberator, because of the number of different manufacturers. The website states that the 1922 decree especially specified in detail the designs needed for standardizing the forms of the 1st, 2nd, & 3rd class versions of the Order that had been subject to a large number of differences in their design interpretation by each manufacturer. This situation is likely to have been even more variable among miniatures (certainly evident in the examples from your collection), sometimes manufactured by other companies than those making the full-sized insignia. You might wish to check out a thread titled "Miniatures of the Middle East & Arab World" that was started by Owain (oamatme) on 6 December, 2017 under the "Middle East & Arab States" section of this "Rest of the World: Medals & Militaria" Forum discussing miniatures, although it is for a different area. He, and some of the contributors, especially 922F, are much more knowledgeable than I will ever be about variation in miniatures. Owain started his thread in response to a couple questions I had about miniatures starting on 5 December, 2017 on a thread I began about the Egyptian Order of Ismail ("Question about the Order of Ismail/Nishan al-Ismail", started on 7 November, 2017, under Middle East & Arab States) and responses from Owain and 922F. Some of their insights are likely relevant to understanding the variation in your items. 

Below are two images of a miniature of the Orden del Liberator resembling the example on the left in the original post in this thread, from a group of nine miniatures from various countries all strung on a gold chain sold by eMedals.  It is identified as made of gold and enamel and is suggested to date to ~ 1910 (or earlier?). https://www.emedals.com/a-early-20th-century-french-gold-miniature-group-of-nine-eu6113

large.5a5811e5b400e_OrdendelLibertadorminiobversec1910.jpg.5716278a302ba88ecb347bbdf023715e.jpglarge.5a5811ee81526_OrdendelLibertadorminireversec1910.jpg.ec86543348049000604fba798cad203c.jpg