News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Japanese Awards - Order of the Sacred Treasure

Gordon Williamson

Awarded for both civil and military merit. The obverse design shows in the centre the legendary Yata Mirror, symbolising purity. Apparently so sacred, that even the emperor was not permitted to look into it. The circular discs represent the Yasakani jewels, which legend has it the Gods hung on the trees to entice the sun godess out of hiding and bring light to the world.

The reverse is plain with the inscription "Order of Merit Decoration"

Despite looking brand new, this is an original 1930s piece, the period during which the tiny "M" mark of the Osaka Mint was applied on the lower arm

Edited by Gordon Williamson

Guest Rick Research

I've always wondered why an AUSTRIAN style trifold ribbon was chosen for this Order, making it rather odd looking in Japanese mounted groups.

Rick,

You are right. As the only Japanese award with an Austrian style triangular ribbon, it looks totally out of synch with all the others. They were influenced by many other countries. The medals here have ribbon suspensions which are very "British" in style. The ribbon rosettes they used are said to have been French influence.

• 3 weeks later...
    • 1 month later...
    • 3 weeks later...

Gordon, I see that you found a 3rd class beer.gif . One small observation,

when looking at the obverse on both your's and mine, they appear to be

in silver, obviously due to the scanning. The reverse on mine shows the same

pale gilding you refer to on the 4th class, whereas your reverse on your's seems to be silver. Both the reverse and obverse on mine are actually gilded and I take it

your's is as well. I'm making this remark in order to avoid any doubts amongst new collectors about the gilding on 3rd class smile.gif

KR

Peter

Reverse