Gentleman's Military Interest Club

Colleagues:

I just acquired a BWM with the following unit abbreviation in the naming, ie., S.A. Vet. Regt.

Although I feel fairly certain that the unit is the South African Veteran Regiment I am afraid I have not been able to uncover much more about the unit except: it seems to have been connected with the war in German SWA, and renamed the Protectorate Garrison Regiment in 1916.

Apart from that, I have not been able to discover much about it. 

If anyone has any additional information on this unit and its activities during the Great War, I would be most grateful to learn of it.

For instance, I was hoping to obtain a bit more information such as:

1.  the recipients were (obviously?) veterans... but veterans of what? ... the early phases of the Great War? .. (only?) the campaign in German SWA?... or veterans, in general?  Put another way: what was the (specific) criteria for membership in this unit?

2. If they were veterans of the campaign in German SWA, (which seems like it might have been the case, based upon a couple of snippets I have uncovered thus far via Google), why were these veterans released from service? ... ie., why did they not carry-on in their original units for the balance of the Great War? ... were they wounded? (or otherwise disabled?)... did they not volunteer for "general service", (ie., outside of South Africa) and therefore could not be sent abroad?

3.  Alternatively were they, somehow, connected to the Union Government's efforts to suppress the 1914 Rebellion?

4.  How long was the unit in existence?

5.  What did they do?... ie., what was their military role/function?  Did they serve as a sort of labour corps, or in an administrative function, or as a type of (military?) police constabulary?

6.  Were they, in fact, limited in their service to a certain geographic area?

7.  Were they mounted, mechanized, or on foot? ... or in offices?

So many questions that simply knowing they were "veterans" do not answer.

I have looked for an article which addresses these types of questions (and more) but whomever they are, and whatever they did, this unit does not seem to have left much of an historical footprint. I have consulted the Official History of the Union of South Africa in the Great War (NMP's reprint) but since it has no index, it was a bit hit-and-miss.

So... any leads or additional information grateful received.

Cheers,

Glen,

In Our Dominion of the North

PS: The following snippet goes a little way towards answers some of the above questions, but (regrettably) not too far.  Its from a Google Books online search.

Lockhart - 1915 - SAVR - snippet intell.jpg

Edited by Ceylon