News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

2x Coronation medals - any info please

Good afternoon Gentlemen,

Can anyone assist me please with information about a pair of Metropolitan Police Coronation medals I have - they are a bronze 1902 Edward VII and a silver George V (1911), named to:- W. CLARKE & W. CLARK (no "E") respectively. 

Both are swing-mounted to a bar, which has some age to it, so I believe belong together and are not a "put together", inspite of the two different spellings.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Kevin.

Edited by 5016

Sorry, should have realised that it was a common name, so the extra detail is needed...on the 1902 he is shown "P.C." and "V Div." Hope that helps.

Kind regards,

Kevin.

Can only find one PC W Clark V Division entitled to 1902 (V) and 1911 medals.

87739 Walter CLARK joined 26.08.01 V Division Retired 30.08.1926 W Division. 

So this will confirm his 1902 medal and entitlement to a 1911, HOWEVER, there are several W CLARKE's entitled to the 1911 so due to the presence of the 'E' on the 1911 it is possible that someone has just come across two medals with the "same" name and put them together.

But having said that and given the fact that they appear to have been mounted together for sometime, I would hazard that they are in fact to the same chap and his name has just been misspelled on the 1911 medal.................

Edited by bigjarofwasps

Many thanks indeed. I’m happy these two have been together for a very long time and have personal experience of police spelling prowess...when I retired after 34 yrs the cut-glass fruit bowl they gave me had my name (Elliott) misspelled. Makes you feel really appreciated. On a plus note - I moaned, so now have two gathering dust in the loft!

Kind regards.