News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Japanese Awards - Order of the Rising Sun

Gordon Williamson

Here is a close-up of Paul C's 5th Class on the medal bar of later Generalleutnant Karl Max Erdmann Gronau (1855-1945) that I Epsonized for him yesterday:

This was apparently awarded to him by a visiting delegation from Japan while he was a Hauptmann on the staff of the Field Artillery Shooting School, between 1897 and 1902.

For the whole medal bar:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=25949

Hello;

:Cat-Scratch: I found this thread...Can I ask how you know the Japanese Rising Sun was awarded to him by a visiting delegation from Japan while he was a Hauptmann on the staff of the Field Artillery Shooting School, between 1897 and 1902? (I'm not doubting your evidence, I just want to know, how you know?

Nice bar...but being able to match the bar with the photo :love:

• 5 months later...
    • Replies 59
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry to bump a old thread.

but thanks for the photos everyone.

I have a 8th class in my room at the moment with a seventh in the mail.

trying constantly for a sixth grade from ebay...but kinda worried about fakes.

sorry to bump a old thread.

but thanks for the photos everyone.

I have a 8th class in my room at the moment with a seventh in the mail.

trying constantly for a sixth grade from ebay...but kinda worried about fakes.

Luckily, Japanese medals and orders are not faked a lot. It is actually harder to find fakes than originals (don't know about the ww1 wictory medal though). Well made fakes are rare. Then there are repros of the super high classes that are quite well done but that is only because of the rarity and value.

If in doubt about a medal or order, post it here on the forum. Someone will most likely know.

/Erik

thanks for your input :-)

I will definately ask if I get one. I tried asking about the seller on another forum with no luck. So if you like can always PM and discuss the seller and see if he is true or not :-)

I'm less concerned about fake medals, though one does see replacement ribbon for sale as well as newly manufactured rosettes for the orders. Replica ribbon bars too, but at least the ones I've seen - the sellers have all listed them as "NEW" items, not originals. Granted, I'd imagine there are sellers out there that have swapped a ribbon or two and thrown in a fake rosette to sex up a particular piece, though I'd guess this is not too common, not sure it is worth the effort. I've not personally handled any of these replacement items, so I don't know if they are easy to distinguish from genuine articles or not.

thanks for your input :-)

I will definately ask if I get one. I tried asking about the seller on another forum with no luck. So if you like can always PM and discuss the seller and see if he is true or not :-)

You can send me a pm or just ask here on the forum. I'm sure You will get input from more than just me.

Erik