News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

prussian ORDER of the CROWN ... have a doubt with its RIBBON

hello.

I started recently to post in this forum as I think this is a good place to get info about imperial awards. I'm new in this collecting field.

I have a doubt with the ribbon of this order. sometimes I see it with a gray-blue ribbon and others with a black&white (EK style) ribbon. surely this matter has been explained/discussed here but I can't find a thread where I may get clear of this. surely some of you can let all the info.

also would like to know which device was placed on a ribbon bar. I mean, single swords, crown+swords for combatants? plain ribbon for non combatants???

advanced thanks for your cooperation.

Hello Pep:

Welcome to the forum.  Your eyes did not deceive you.  For Prussian Crown Order awards there are at least five proper ribbons that I can think of off the top of my head:

The cornflower blue ribbon for awards without swords (non-combatant awards).

The black ribbon with white side stripes (Iron Cross-style) for combatant awards (with swords).

The white ribbon with multiple narrow black stripes and narrow red borders (ie: the same as the WWI Prussian War Aid Cross).  This was the ribbon for awards with the "Geneva Cross" awarded mostly for the 1870-71 conflict to male medical staff.

The white ribbon with black side stripes (Iron Cross-style).  Very few special awards made.

The lifesaving medal ribbon (orange with white side-stripes).  Very few special awards made.

There may be more ribbon possibilities, but this is not my area of expertise.

Regarding field ribbon bar devices there are a variety of possibilities:

On the cornflower blue ribbon there would usually be no device, unless worn in the Austrian-style with a device representing a higher-grade.

On the black ribbon with white side stripes, crossed swords would be normal.

On the ribbon for the Geneva Cross award, a Geneva Cross device is sometimes seen.

I probably didn't address all of your questions, but now you have a starting place.  There are many good publications on this topic (in German).

Best regards, 

thank you for posting. as you say a good start. seems that some imperial awards have a large variety of classes and types. will have a lot of fun studying them.