News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Oberleutnant von Könemann 1 GDR

In the ranklist 70/71 is a v. Kunheim with EK II:

Sec.Lt.  v. Kunheim in Garde-Train-Bataillon.

Note the the rank "Oberleutnant" came-up not before 1899. Before it was called Seconde-Lieutenant for Leutnant and Premier-Lieutetant for Oberleutnant.

So the script must have been written after 1899/1900

The ranklist 1869 shows two v. Kunheim (1x Sec.Lt, 1x Pr.Lt.) in Cavalry of 7.Ostpreuß. Landwehr-Rgt.Nr.44.

Thet means, Sc.Lt. Kunheim was in the Landwehr before the war and had been activated for the war, probably in 1870.

But I´m not sure, that he is the man in the photo, but he is our only hint...

Edited by The Prussian

Yes, it make sense.

just tell me, the same von Kunheim in 1.Garde-Drag.Rgt in the list of 70/71 EK owners, could be one of the two Kunheim listed in the ranklist 1869,  in Cavalry of 7.Ostpreuß. Landwehr-Rgt.Nr.44. At the start of the war, he was activated and transferred to the 1.Garde-Drag.Rgt, until the end of the conflict and awarded with a EK II klasse. Is it right?

I don´t know. That´s just a guess. It´s possible.

When we have the reverse I could check the official recordings of the war.

The regiment fought:

1.9. Sedan, 5.9. Montmedy; 29.9. Li´Isle Adam; 9.10. Gisors; 14.10. Ecouis; 19./20.10. Etrepagny; 22.10. Vernon; 25.10. Longchamps; 6.11. Le Thiel; 7.11. Forêt la Folie; 19.-29.9. and 26.11.-28.1. Paris

Gentlemen , The officer portrayed wears the type of feldachselstucke .introduced into the Prussian Army for the campaign of 1866 . later these shoulderboards were used with the service dress . The Landwehr cavalry weared blue and not light blue tunics and interims rocke .with the interimsrock litzen were not used . the pic is from between 1866 and 1889 , judging by the type of SBs but the EK II situates the date more precisely between 1870 and 1889. A 1813 EKII is exclude by way of the age of the officer and his rank