News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My West German and 57 awards collection... Part 1:

Greetings all,

I'm fairly new to the club... I joined a few months ago and have thoroughly enjoyed reading all the posts. Very educational and also uplifting as quite often I'm rolling on the floor laughing at something I've read or seen on here.

I was very pleased to see this new section :jumping: and so thought I'd go ahead, bite the bullet and make a post. I've tried to hold off doing this until I get a new scanner but it may be a while yet so I decided to take the plunge. Please excuse the pics as I have to do them with a digital camera on macro. :unsure: Once I get a new scanner they'll improve, I promise!

I've been into a little bit of everything over the years and managed to pick up a few West German and 57 pieces along the way. To be honest I wish to high heaven I'd gotten more. :banger::speechless: But sadly I listened to alot of my fellow collectors at the time (twenty some odd years ago) who said the 57 issue pieces were junk and would never amount to a hill of beans. :angry::banger: Somehow I suspect they were keeping a secret stockpile somewhere and didn't want more competition as they've certainly gotten quite popular and the prices have gone up, up, up! :speechless:

Anyhow just thought I'd share what I have, many of which I've not seen posted yet. No idea if I have any "finds" here although that would be nice. I've been very lucky to make a few in my time. Would love any and all comments.

The first piece is actually something I got in a dealer "junk box" many moons ago for like $5 if memory serves. It's had a not so professional repair on it and I'm not positive if it's original or not. But if it is it's my one "denazified" piece... so figure it fits here since before 57 it was the only thing the German vets could wear.

DenazArtfront.jpg.37cffba44b78220cd575913505748a89.jpgDenazArtrev.jpg.3bba9249272680ce48deefdeb7d60624.jpg

More to come...

Dan

Edited by Hauptmann

Hi Dan ,

Yes i got told the same that 1957,s were crap and not to bother with them . Then i think they realised there were really nice early pieces made to the same high standards as wartime pieces then everyone started taking an interest especially the knights cross .

As for the flak badge , it,s a Luftwaffe flak that has not had the eagle attached you can tell by the 2 small bumps at the top of the wreath .

I,m not sure it,s a 1957 though looks like a late war zinc made one to me ?

Hi Dan ,

Yes i got told the same that 1957,s were crap and not to bother with them . Then i think they realised there were really nice early pieces made to the same high standards as wartime pieces then everyone started taking an interest especially the knights cross .

As for the flak badge , it,s a Luftwaffe flak that has not had the eagle attached you can tell by the 2 small bumps at the top of the wreath .

I,m not sure it,s a 1957 though looks like a late war zinc made one to me ?

So it does appear to be original? Whew! That's "always" good to know. :rolleyes: And you don't think the eagle was removed but was just never put on? Perhaps it was leftover late war stock and if so perhaps was still used for post war vets. :rolleyes: Anyhow I've always used it as a "denazified" example... kind of fits the bill. :D

And even as it is I figured I did good paying what I did.