Gentleman's Military Interest Club
The Prussian

Question on french uniform

Hello!

I recieved this photograph. I know the arm-sign is TSF (Téléphonie sans fils = wireless telegraphy)

Which unit could it be? Engeneer or cavalry? The collar patch is black or dark-blue with brighter laces and N°18.

What about the chevron? I haven´t seen chevron ranks like this until 1918. The frontline-presence-chevron were worn on the left arm.

When could the photo had been taken?

Thanks a lot!

Scannen0001.jpg

Andy

Has the TSF symbol been drawn onto the photo with ink or onto the tunic? Or do we think that it is some kind of crude stitching onto the sleeve of the tunic?

I also note that he has 'procured' a British Sam Browne belt from somewhere!

Hello Trooper!

I really don´t know... If it is drawn, it´s not on my photo. Maybe upon the negative??? I also thought the chevron and/or the symbol is drawn. I know there are several unofficial TSF signs like this one in the photo below photo, taken from this book:

https://www.militaria.at/Book.aspx?book=998400&Language=en

Scannen0001.jpg

3 hours ago, The Prussian said:

Hello Trooper!

I really don´t know... If it is drawn, it´s not on my photo. Maybe upon the negative??? I also thought the chevron and/or the symbol is drawn. I know there are several unofficial TSF signs like this one in the photo below photo, taken from this book:

https://www.militaria.at/Book.aspx?book=998400&Language=en

Thanks for the clarification. I also wondered about the chevrons but, in the full size version, I can convince myself that I can see that they are three dimensional - in other words, that they are made of braid or similar.

2018-02-28_19-58-45.jpg.df854bf2b941e7679148d50eb4114d91.jpg

Hello Gentlemen : The man on the photo wears a interwars uniform , very smart , he is not an officer but a career NCO ,entitled to use a Sam Browne belt without the shoulder bandoliere. the dark patch could be Cavalry ; Dragoons , Cuirassiers ,Hussars Or Chasseurs .but also Engineers. the colour of the uniform is probably bleu horizon and judging by the apparent length of the tunic skirts the date is around 1930 .

Hello friends!

Bayern: I´d say Engeneers. Black patch with red braids.

Trooper. A friend of mine told me, the symbol and the chevrons could have been scratched into the negative.

I don't know it. But I will have a look this afternoon. Thanks mate!

I am  a lifetime member and will guide you if needed.

22 hours ago, The Prussian said:

Hello friends!

Bayern: I´d say Engeneers. Black patch with red braids.

Trooper. A friend of mine told me, the symbol and the chevrons could have been scratched into the negative.

Or Cuirassiers ,dark blue patch with two red chevrons.

Those collar patches seem to be really difficulty...

Did cavalry had those TSR formations?

The Prussian :  I discard Cuirassiers because there were no 18 th Regiment of Cuirassiers . 

Looks reasonable. It was not until 1942 that Transmissions was created into the Army of the Armistice .and adopted a different collar patch ,black but with two chevrons Skyblue in colour.