Gentleman's Military Interest Club
laurentius

Luxembourg Military and Civil merit order

Posted (edited)

Dear fellow collectors

I recently came across this beautiful piece up for auction at auctionhouse Carsten Zeige from Hamburg. Although my collection-area is Germany in WW1 I also have an interest in WW2 awards and awards from different European states, since there was a lot of cross-awarding between states (germans like Max Becker, Ernst zu Lippe-Weißenfeld and Franz von Chauvin  received the award for example despite the fact that the order is not-german). When researching this cross I saw a lot of examples, but not a single one of them had their swords crossed in this bavarian style (MVO for example). Other pieces I saw had their swords crossed between the arms. At Emedals I found the same class with the swords crossed in the regular way. Could any of you give me some info on this piece, and on whether it is authentic? I will attach some examples.

Kind regards and thanks in advance, Laurentius

adolph.jpeg.b75c3924ae68aef60ab44b501b235ddc.jpeg

image.jpeg.a486764c3a0ccad172514f03d4ade09e.jpeg

image.jpeg.1d3ec54bc1c0094adf200af56b446f08.jpeg

Edited by laurentius

Yes, it's decidedly unusual to have crossed swords mounted this way!

There's no maker's mark that I can see (Carsten Zeige Auction 59, 2018-03-24, lot 339 if anyone's interested) but it could be a  foreign-made one commissioned by the recipient back home if, perhaps, he was German.

Or it could indicate a civil award at a higher level than a previously-awarded military award of the Order.

Some thoughts.

Megan

Dear Megan

I would expect atleast a mark for the silver and the gold since the grandcross is made from silver-gilt and gold. Perhaps you are right about the foreign-made commisioned piece, seems like a viable option.

Kind regards, Laurentius