News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My West German and 57 awards collection... Part 11:

And here's the maker:

IPB Image

I hope everyone enjoys seeing these as much as I've enjoyed sharing them. I hope more members will post awards in this category as I feel there is much yet to be learned in this area of militaria.

Thanks for having me as a member. :D I hope I'm able in some small way to add to this terrific community. I'm amazed at the amount of knowledge presented here as well as the fabulous collections! :love::jumping::cheers:

Many thanks,

Dan

• Replies 70
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dan,

Welcome to the Forum!!!

Nice bases for a collection that just asks to grow, grow and grow... ;)

Just one remark : Instead of opening more than 10 threads to display your collection, why don't you try to open a "collectors" thread ? It would be easier for you to upgrade and complete it, as soon as you get new pieces... :rolleyes:

And for the last one order, it really deserves to be located in only one thread instead of two...

Just my 2 cents...

Welcome again!!!

Cheers.

Ch.

Dan,

Welcome to the Forum!!!

Nice bases for a collection that just asks to grow, grow and grow... ;)

Just one remark : Instead of opening more than 10 threads to display your collection, why don't you try to open a "collectors" thread ? It would be easier for you to upgrade and complete it, as soon as you get new pieces... :rolleyes:

And for the last one order, it really deserves to be located in only one thread instead of two...

Just my 2 cents...

Welcome again!!!

Cheers.

Ch.

Hi Christophe,

Many thanks! :D Actually I'd been talking to one of the senior members asking advice on how to post as this was my first shot at all this. After the fact we both realized I could have just kept replying to myself... which I'd considered but didn't know for sure if it was the way to do it so I went the other way. Live and learn. :speechless:

Needless to say I've corrected it in other posts I've made this evening.

The basic problems were the number of pics as well as the amount of smilies I used. And I definitely agree on that last one... broke my heart to split it up between the posts. But still hoping folks will enjoy it all. So far I've gotten several positive comments which is always nice. :D

Could you pm me and give me more info on the "collectors thread" as since I'm so new to all of this it's something I'm not familiar with?

Well, have to hit the bed... it's 5:04 a.m. and it's been a looooooong day. :sleep: Again appreciate your kind comments. I've been made to feel very welcome and I deeply appreciate that. In a way I feel like I've come home. As you know a big part of collecting is in sharing and discussing such things with others. I haven't had alot of that for quite a number of years. Most of my collecting has been through Ebay of late and especially up here in North Dakota where I haven't found alot of collectors or shops. So it's great to be able to get on here and share the hobby with those of like interests.

Have a great one, :cheers:

Dan

Hi Dan,

We are very pleased to welcome you here in this Forum. :jumping:

For the Collectors threads, please, visit here :

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showforum=114

Here are the rules to apply :

"This area is for members to show off their collections it is not to be used as a general discussion area for militaria.

Members should use one thread for each collection and titled accordingly .i.e. John Smith's British Medal Collection or John Doe's Iron Cross Collection.

If other members wish to discuss a certain aspect of another members collection a seperate thread should be started in the relevant section. i.e. John Smith posts an Iron Cross in his showcase. A member wants to discuss certain aspects of this cross in more detail. The member should contact John Smith via PM and ask him/her to post the medal in question in the Iron Cross forum for further discussion. "

Hope this helps.

Now, I think it is time to wish you... good night. :sleep:;)

Cheers.

Ch.

Hi Dan ,

Thanks very much for showing your collection :jumping:

C.E. Junker :love: i,ve got my eye on one of those lovelies at the moment hope i get it !

Hi Grant,

Just finished up with my replies. Hope to hear from you on the Olympic ribbon as I'd love to be able to change that :banger: to a :D . But deeply appreciate all your comments and oohs and aaahs. :cheers:

Best of luck on the Juncker... I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you! Let me know if it works out. I was sooooo lucky on both of those Fed. Merit crosses. I believe the 2nd cased with it's pedigree and the maker was like $17! :rolleyes: Needless to say I was extremely pleased with both purchases as I've never seen them that low before or since. I think folks were :sleep: on those two. Glad I was awake for once.

And the best thing was I didn't know it was a Juncker until I got it, turned the case over when checking it out and lo and behold there it was as bold as brass! :speechless1: I were a very happy camper to say the very least!

Thanks again for all your kind words of praise.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Well, here's the latest addition to my 57's... just ordered it and will probably be a week or less until I get it. But now all I need is a silver and I'll be finished with my 57 Wounds.

IPB Image

Thanks! :cheers:

Dan

Hello Dan ,

A nice wound badge you have there , i,d say from the more modern pin assembly and nice matt black finish and good detail that is a mid production piece , a lot nicer than the later one,s with the gloss black paint slapped on and smothered the detail .

Well done .

Grant

Thanks guys! :beer: I really appreciate that! :D I thought I'd done well but it's always nice to have it confirmed. I can't wait to see it in person. In fact, after doing all this and for years having them all spread out in several displays I redid several of my limited supply of Riker's last night and put them all into one display together... from Imperial right on through. Nothing fancy mind you but they look great.

I regret that years ago I traded off my other silver as well as my only wound badge case that went with it. :( In the same deal I traded off all my wound badge packets as well as a couple of packet sets for Mother's Crosses and I think a few others. Now I don't have any wound badge packets so hoping to get some of those to add to the collection, and perhaps at least one case.

I still have a Russian Front and West Wall with packets as well as an IC spange and I think one other but can't remember what that was... I'll have to check. Perhaps I'll do up a post of awards with packets and spare packets by themselves.

They're just a few things I kick myself for letting go over the years. Only wish the club had been there back in the day as I'd probably still have 99% of everything.

Anyhow could not be happier that I found this one and managed to get it.

Many thanks!!!! :cheers:

Dan

• 1 month later...
    • 1 year later...

Hi all,

Here's my latest additional to my West German collection... from Torsten:

I used to see these when I was a teen looking through the old Replica Arms catalogs out of Virginia. Was one of the many items of military insignia they used to sell. I've still got the catalogs too! Always wanted one... but always kind of imagined they were bigger... around the size of the many Luftwaffe clasps or the Army Close Combat clasps, etc. But it's actually a good deal smaller... but very well made with alot of detail. A very nice piece and I'm happy I've finally been able to add one to my collection. :jumping:

Dan :cheers:

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

Well, I've finally managed to finish off my 1957 Wound Badge set. :D I just got a Silver which is the last I needed. Here's pics (sellers - Citadel_777):

It's been a long time coming but I'm finally able to finish off this set. :jumping::beer:

Hello

Congratulations Dan on completing your 57 wound badges :beer: I know how it feels - I'm on the look out for one of the very early black ones.

Nice looking silver WB.

Hi David,

Many thanks! :beer: I was so blessed to get this one. I felt like it would get bid through the roof but I got it for an extremely reasonable price. As I remember the same thing happened with my black one when I got it. Keep your eyes peeled on Ebay as they do tend to turn up there quite a bit. And if you find one I pray you'll get a great deal like I did. :D And if I see any I'll be sure to let you know.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Here's my latest from Noor. Pics are his and used with his kind permission (Many thanksTimo! ).

It's supposedly named to Oskar Schmidt, an early volunteer to go to Spain with the Legion Condor. Seems he was cabin mate with Hajo Hermann on the steamer Usaramo on the voyage to Spain.

I say "supposedly named" because we have no documentation on this as yet. The original seller on WAF stated in an email that he had purchased the bar, then the person he bought it from told him about it being named... the deal having already been done he felt there was no reason for him to lie about this. He said he has a list of members of the LC and found said individual listed there. I'm hoping to get a scan or copy of this at some point. But for now, I've not been able to find any reference to him on the internet... but I know that's not unusual.

Needless to say if anyone has any additional information on said Oskar Schmidt please let me know. I got the bar for what it is and not so much for the fact that it might, or might not be named. If it is it's icing on the cake and would add much to it in my eyes... but if it turns out to be a tall tail I'm not that concerned.

• 1 month later...
    • 5 months later...

Hi all,

Here are my latest additions to the 57 collection. Many thanks to Christian for both the awards and his kind permission to use his photos. My deepest thanks my friend! :cheers:

Close Combat Clasp in bronze:

Which has a case waiting for it when it arrives... will do a pic in same once it gets here. :jumping:

Anti-Partisan Badge in bronze, Panzer Assault Badge in bronze, Gold Wound Badge, IC 1st, IC 2nd and two stickpin bars:

Hope to post reverse views tomorrow.

Edited by Hauptman

And here's some others I'd not had time to post yet. And please, forgive me for the quality of the pics... I'm still not able to get to my scanner... but hoping I will soon.

KVK 2nd w/o swords:

That one was the sellers pic.

From what I gather this one is a late period piece as the attachment ring runs side to side instead of front to back. :speechless:

Edited by Hauptman