News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My West German and 57 awards collection... Part 11:

• Replies 70
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As you can see in the one shot there's what appears to be a casting line that runs all around the ridge. Also on the reverse where the swaz would have been on the WWII versions and normally would be pebbled as on the arms, etc., is blank and smooth on mine. But it's the right size, has a good bit of detail and is a nice heavy piece. It polished up a nice silver which doesn't show as well in the pics as in person. But does still show a bit of a brass or copper color which I'm guessing is the base metal.

So I leave it up to the membership... good and if so from what period... hoping at least that it may be a late period piece... or just an out and out modern copy.

Keeping my fingers crossed but again I've got so little in this that I'm okay no matter what. I also have a ribbon coming for it from Israel.

Thanks!!!! :beer:

Dan :cheers:

Update: Just heard from Grant. He said when he looked at the pics last night it was right before he headed to work and he'd missed the pics of the casting lines and the blank (non pebbled) area where the swas normally would have been. In his words "It's a duffer." :P

So it'll have to be a place holder until (if ever) a real one comes along. :blush:

Many thanks my friend!!!! :jumping::jumping: Out of curiosity, what is the stickpin that looks liike it has the enameled red cross on it?

Can't wait to see your para!!!! :beer:

Hi Dan

Nice collection. Are you flooded out yet. I hope not. :cheers:

To answer your question it could be a Hanseatic cross. I have posted a link for you.

http://home.att.net/~david.danner/militaria/hansastaedte.htm

Edited by Laurence Strong

• 2 months later...

Hi Dan

Nice collection. Are you flooded out yet. I hope not. :cheers:

To answer your question it could be a Hanseatic cross. I have posted a link for you.

http://home.att.net/~david.danner/militaria/hansastaedte.htm

Hi Laurence,

I've no idea why I didn't see notication in my email that you'd posted this one... but many thanks for doing so. :jumping: Many apoligies for the last reply! :blush:

Once upon a time I had a nice Hamburg and let it go. :speechless: Would love to get a full set at some point but I don't tend to find too many bargains in Imperial awards... wish I could. I would also dearly love a Hohenzollern Order and an Order of the Crown not to mention an Order of the Zahringen Lion. So many beautiful Orders... so little time and money. Sigh. ;)

Thanks again!!!! :beer:

Edited by Hauptman

My latest addition to my 57 collection... courtesy of Christian. Many thanks my friend for the award and the use of the pics:

I never realized they'd reissued these in 57 as well but Grant and several others confirmed it. It's another one I'm eagerly awaiting it's arrival in the mail from Germany. Can't wait to see it in person! :jumping::beer:

My latest addition to my 57 collection... courtesy of Christian. Many thanks my friend for the award and the use of the pics:

I never realized they'd reissued these in 57 as well but Grant and several others confirmed it. It's another one I'm eagerly awaiting it's arrival in the mail from Germany. Can't wait to see it in person! :jumping::beer:

Really? :o You sure? :o Don't get me wrong, I have absolutely no knowledge to the fact they didn't reissue them... I'm just a bit puzzled as to why they'd have to since it didn't require any denazification. A full list of everything that was reissued post 57 would be nice huh?

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it's finally official and should be in my hands by early this coming week.

I'm so glad the original buyer decided to send it back as it was not a WWI... although how he could have not known this by the pictures is beyond me! But his loss is my gain and I'm thrilled to add this one to my collection.

I've also got another new piece (actually a set) to show but will have to post it later this evening. But it's a beaut! :beer:

Hi,

here is something wrong.

Dan:

"I never realized they'd reissued these in 57 as well but Grant and several others confirmed it."

Who confirmed it?

No one reissued in 1957 a decoration, awarded before May 1945.

With the "Ordensgesetz" from 1957 it was allowed, to wear several decorations, awarded before May 1945.

Some were not allowed, e.g. all NSDAP decorations.

No one was allowed to wear a decoration with the swastika on it.

Therefore some (allowed) pieces must be changed in the design, what we call now 1957 versions or 57 versions.

There was no award, no issue, no reissue, only the allowance, to produce, to sell, to buy and to wear these decorations. Everybody could produce, sell and buy them, just collectors :P .

To wear decorations is only permitted for people who had been awarded with the decorations, normally with an award document.

And the Silesian eagle could be worn, based on the regulations from 1957!

It could be worn as an original, the awarded piece; or you could look for a not original piece, like the post WWII copy in Post 56.

It is produced with the utmost probability in the time frame around the 1957 regulations, but it is not an original and it is not a 1957 version.

TacHel:

"A full list of everything that was [allowed to wear] post 57 would be nice huh?"

http://www.ordensmuseum.de/Ordensjournal/O...16Jan0857er.pdf

Only these pieces in the "Bundesanzeiger 41" are "originals", 1957 versions.

And 'everything' that was allowed to wear, that is a list of all that, what is allowed in the 1957 regulations, e.g. all Imperial decorations, some 'Weimarer Republik' decorations, several Third Reich decorations and all foreign decorations (but not the Nazi related).

Regards

Uwe

Edited by speedytop

• 3 months later...

Hi David,

Many thanks!cheers.gif I got the heads up on this from Grant who helps me keep an eye out for 57's. He knew I'd wanted one forever and a day and he ran across it, let me know and I grabbed it pretty quick. I can't want to have it in hand but it's coming from England so will probably be another week and a half to two weeks... although it could be sooner. One of course never knows with the postal service.rolleyes.gif

Dancheers.gif

• 3 months later...

Here's my latest addition to the West German collection. A Military Proficiency Badge in Silver. Interesting story behind this one. This was a gift from the same friend who gave me a few other TR pieces at Christmas including a screwback Wound Badge in Silver. I'd actually seen this one a few weeks previous to Christmas as he'd sent it home with Kim on the weekend for me to identify it. It was stone cold mint. Was an easy ID and so I sent it back to him.

Well, just after Christmas he'd come home from work one even to his farmstead, parked his truck outside and went in the house to get ready to get some sleep. A few minutes after he'd gone in he saw a strange glow from the front yard and looked out to realize in horror that his truck was on fire! speechless1.gifspeechless1.gif He called the Fire Department but by the time they got there the truck was a total loss. And worse yet he had alot of his stuff in the truck at the time so it was basically all destroyed.

Well, turns out this badge was also in the truck when it burned. Kim brought it home and told me that he was giving it to me and that he hoped I might be able to salvage it. Needless to say I was shocked as the first time I'd seen it it was absolutely mint and now it was almost completely black... although it appeared it was not physically damaged... amazingly enough.

So with some TLC, elbow grease and about fifteen minutes of work it now looks like new again. I'm only sorry I didn't think to do before scans.speechless.gif But trust me when I say it was black as midnight with only a couple tiny spots of silver showing thru. My big fear was that most of the finish was gone but thankfully it was only a very thick coating of soot. It wouldn't just wash off... really took some work but I think it was well worth it. Not a rare badge by any stretch of the imagination but I'm very glad I could save it.

• 3 weeks later...

Now all I need is the 57 version of the 2nd Class Decoration and I'll have the full set. Keeping my fingers crossed that I'll be fortunate enough to find and acquire one to add to the collection some day.

Edited by Hauptman