News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Stalhelm flag, triangular style

I was researching this Stalhelm flag recently, regarding the predominant period used, who by (rank?), etc., and thought I'd post it for comments. Presumed to be from the 1919-1933 period, it measures 5 3/8 inches (13.5 cm) vertical by 9 inches (23 cm) on each long side, and is well soiled with 100% original Weimar period dirt. Not shown are two small rusty rings which would have gone on the vertical ends for mounting. I'm thinking it's likely a car flag. Any comments about its history will be most appreciated. Thanks.

Frank D.

Germany Stalhelm Flag.jpg

If you click on the picture a few times, it will enlarge enough to see the weave and stitching.  I'd guess it to be a cotton or linen fabric, certainly not modern.

Another view at 400 dpi, reverse detail, showing the thick, broad weave and stitching, along with a few moth holes and tears, stains, etc. I have no doubt about genuineness. I'm more interested in the period used and if this size was particular to a certain rank perhaps?

Germany Stalhelm Flag enlg.jpg

On 3/18/2018 at 08:33, Bayern said:

Hello Its what in German is called a Wimpel . they were for use on vehicles . as means of indication of the rank of the user .

Since it's lacking the clips that would definitely identify it as a car pennant, it could just as easily be part of bunting or a desk flag. I've seen them used in all 3 ways.

Another view at 400 dpi, reverse detail, showing the thick, broad weave and stitching, along with a few moth holes and tears, stains, etc. I have no doubt about genuineness. I'm more interested in the period used and if this size was particular to a certain rank perhaps?

3-20-18. Here are the rings that were attached to the corners, well oxidized now due to age. Would anyone know the current retail market value of this flag?

Germany Stalhelm Flag rings.jpg